ST vs Ridgeline

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gene M 2

Reaction score
Just came back from the Honda dealership and really liked the Ridgeline.

Checked out the 08 STs last weekend and I've got to say, I wasn't impressed.

We have an '02 ST that we want to upgrade and I'm leaning toward the Ridgeline.

Any serious thoughts on the ST compared to the Ridgeline? Has anyone here spent any time driving a Ridgeline?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I couldn't have a ridgeline. I use my bed too much, and the ridgeline has that tapered section from the rear of the cab to the mid-bed. I couldn't just reach into the bed from the side to retrieve anything. I'd have to physically get in the bed to get it.

Other than that, I know nothing else about the ridgeline. I just can't get past the useability issues for me.

I just researched and compared the two. According to Cars.com, 2008 Sport Trac is a "best bet", while the ridgeline is not. Also the Ridgeline had a 3.7 engine, seems kind of small for that size. Another thing i noticed is the Ridgeline has a 5speed automatic, while Sport Trac has two choices 5 or 6 speed automatice transmission. Also, the Ridgeline seems overpriced for the amount it offers.

But you buy the car that best fits your lifestyle.

GeorgeT

if you are looking to tow alot, go with the sport trac. the honda has a unibody configuration and that hinders it from towing very much. other then the fact that it is hard to get stuff out of the honda's box because of the way the sides are, they are pretty much the same in retro spec.

Like us sales people say, if you want a city truck or highway truck go with the honda. if you want something that you can work with and tow decently with, go with the sport trac.

Regards,

Patrick Pierobon

I've owned three Honda's. They make a good vehicle. The reason I have a Sport Trac is I need a REAL 4x4. And I needed a good towing rig. If those are of no concern, then get what you like best.

ive driven a ridgeline... i didnt like it to much... felt awkward, not sure why but i just wasnt comfy

driven the newer STs and i own an 05... i love em, but thats me...

if you like the ridgeline go for it man

what ever u feel good in.

i have never driven a ridgeline. but the box does look awkward. and honda and truck just dont seem to go together to me. i would get the 08 STA and a 08 Honda CRF 250x to put in the bed. you know, a little compromise;)

I've driven the Ridgeline as well. It wasn't a bad drive or ride. I didn't like the fact that it's actually pretty ugly. I didn't like that the sound system wouldn't play MP3 CDs. The seats seemed pretty hard and uncomfy for the long haul. There's no storage in the back behind the seats. The bed was cumbersome to load and unload. I loved the two way tailgate and the lockable compartment that's easy to reach. The trailering package is very expensive and really doesn't work that well for hauling a heavy load.

From the side and and from the front, it's just not that attractive. Very "foreign" looking.

I really wanted to like it, but it just doesn't flip the necessary switches for me to warm up to it.

But or course, to each his own.

If you want to buy a car with a bed, get the Ridgeline. If you want a truck, buy the ST or an F-150...Ridgelines always remind me of the Subaru Brat on steroids...

I'll say it for the third time in this posting. The bed is ugly. Why in the heck would the slope the bed rails down like that? I don't think you'd have many choices for a tonneau cover back there other than the OEM. Most likely, forget having the option to but a topper on it as well.

Everyone here has said anything I'd say, but I'll just jump in to have my count vote as well. I agree with everyone's take, including the comment to buy what you like. You're the one who's going to have to live with it & drive it every day.

I love my '05. I'd really only consider trading it for an '08 ST or maybe an F150 (though I traded in a '95 F150 with an 8' bed to get something a little smaller).

Dad's Ridgeline is very nice interior, with gobs of storage. Several hidden storage compartments and rear seats fold over. He has had zero trouble with it at 37,000 miles, other than me backing into it and crumpling his fender.

The trunk is very handy and keeps his stuff dry, and the two-way tailgate is handy. He tows with it, and tows a small trailer just fine. I agree that it is not for towing large heavy trailers and for hauling a ton of rocks in the back.

It seems quieter than my '07 trac on the highway, and the ride and handling are very comparable to my '07 trac. Power is adequet-- not a screamer, but not a dog either.

Dad's Ridgeline came with Michelin MTX tires which still look like new at his 37,000 miles comared to my Michelin Cross Terrains that are over half worn out at 12,000 miles. (Something is way wrong and uncharacteristic about the 18" Cross Terrains that Michelin puts on the Tracs.)

I here many ridgeline owners after purchase say the exact same thing Brad said (wanted a true 4x4 not a grocery getter SUT) Plus very costly. But again choose what you like.

After extensive research of the two vehicles I came to the conclusion that the Sport Trac rocks and the Ridgeline blows. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
if you would have asked me this question 3 months ago.i would have said to buy the honda.just because they have been so good to me over the years.my wife had a 2004 pilot and she now has a 2007 crv.never have had one problem.but since i have owned the trac for about 2 months now.and it is a 2001.i think it's a fabulous vechicle.when the time comes to buy a newer car.i will test drive the ridgeline.but i'm pretty sure i will buy a newer trac.but i have a friend who loves his ridgeline.but it's mostly used for transpoting kids and grocerys.plus i would love to have a 8 cylinder in my truck.

Latest posts