ST or F150?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korey Kreiter

Reaction score
I traded my 08 ST V8 XLT 2wd this summer for a new Focus SES. At the time, it seemed like a good idea (saving about $160/mo.), but it was my one of my biggest mistakes ever. To make a long story short, shortly after the trade, my wife found a job, and I received a decent raise. Anyways, that's hindsight. Now, I'm wishing to trade the Focus. It's a good little car, but "too little" and "too underpowered" for a family of 4.

My wife loves Sport Tracs. So do I. However, new ones are quite limited in colors, and they aren't discounted that much yet. F150s are discounted much more in our area. For example: I can buy a '10 XLT 4x4 ST underpowered V6, sticker = $34K. Purchased Price = $27.7K. Savings = $6300

OR, I can buy a '10 XLT F150 Super Crew 4x4 4.6 3V, sticker = $38.2K. Purchased price = $28.8K. Savings = $9400.

I have never driven a F-150 yet. I don't need the size/towing of F150, but it sort of makes more sense to me. However, it will barely fit in my garage, and it's almost too big for my needs. MPG is actually rated 1 MPG better in the much more powerful/larger F150. Aftermarket parts are a plenty.

I know I may be asking on a somewhat "biased" forum, but what would you pick?

Or, I could just stick it out in the Focus for a fear of $4/5 gas coming. I make 28(winter)-30.5(summer) MPG driving back and forth to work. It is OK to drive if you are alone -- w/o the A/C on. It handles real well, and the 17" SES looks sharp (no chrome). My other ride is a Hemi Aspen -- which gets 13-14 commuting.

I don't understand why you say you don't need the towing or size of an f150 would need both an f150 or ST AND a Hemi powered Aspen?

And again why one who is complaining that their Focus is underpowered would consider a v6 powered ST.

I'm rereading what I'm writing and I sound like a jerk, but I'm just pointing out what you are saying in your own post so sorry if it's jerkish.

Honestly if you don't "need" a bed stick with the Focus and see what's gonna happen with gas prices as well as just saving on gas right now. I wouldn't go with the F-150 with a V6 (underpowered IMO), plus if it's too big for your needs why get it. I know I haul and tow alot of stuff so I need a truck with a bed but if you're just looking to get another truck just to get a truck with the way the gas prices and everything else is gonna be going up, doesn't make sense to me. Save the money from the fuel savings, etc. and be prepared when the bottom falls out of the economy again, it's gonna happen, just a matter of time. JMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you would be unhappy with the f150 in 6 months too.......

I simply LOVE my gen 2 and would not go with any thing else...... Gotta find parts now and stock them as I don't think i will ever want another truck....

Todd Z

The F150 he is looking at has a V8, not a V6.

For me it was a no-brainer as even a ext cab short bed F150 would not fit in the garage.

The advice to buy a used one (either model) is the best advice around. Let someone else eat the new car depreciation. Find one from a private sale and you can save the sales tax too!

True that a V6 ST is not much quicker than a Focus, but it is. Trust me, with a family of 4, the Focus (ATX) can barely get out of it's own way. A 4.0 ST has the torque to at least feel like it's moving. Unless you've driven a Focus with 500# of weight added, you won't know what I mean. My 05 Neon was the same way -- and it had a 5spd. The compact econo cars are fine when driven alone, but add family and A/C, the fun is all over.

I stated I didn't really need the size of F150 vs. ST, but I do want the interior space (and size) of either over the Focus. Currently, my kids' backpacks can't even fit in the back seat of the Focus along with them. My whole family likes driving/riding in SUVs/trucks vs. cars. When I did have my Sport Trac for a short 18 months, I DID use it as a truck. I hauled 1 cuyd of topsoil, 950# playset in 9' boxes, King footboard, plywood and various other boards, etc. I'm a DIYer, and do all my own home repairs, painting, etc.

Keeping the Focus isn't a bad thing, and I may have to. The prediction of gas prices is a worry. I really wish I was able to find a lower-priced Fusion when I bought the Focus. Of course now I can.

I will probably just wait for more discounts. The left-over Explorers/STs should start seeing some large discounts. I bought my Aspen (2wd) new last Feb (09 Model). It was $12K off sticker. I bought it for $24K, and have been smiling ever since. Everything feels pretty slow compared to the 401 ft-lbs VVT Hemi.

Thanks to all for your unbiased input.

Last edited by a moderator:
kkreit01,

You did not state how far you drive to work, I would think that would be a deciding factor on buying the ST. If you drive a short distance to work, convienence over economy should help make your desicion easier.

I just saw where you're from and that's why prices are so much for vehicles, you're in the 3rd richest county in America. You gotta go alittle further out to find the deals especially on trucks. Yeah with two kids I can see why you wanna get out of the Focus so bad, there's no room in those things. Go on ebay, there's been quite a few ST's on there cheap, not sure if you want a 1st or 2nd Gen but their dropping in price. I definitely wouldn't get the F-150 though, too big, expensive (to maintain it). If you have to take a drive to get a better deal then I would. My buddy used to live down there and it's not cheap.

My current commute is 47 mi/day. I was making 17mpg in my ST. Focus is 28-30. That's a significant difference. However, the Focus is $19 more/month to insure (stupid). That offsets some of the gas, but not much. On average, I drive 1k/mo. The Focus saves about $70/mo on gas alone.

I will only consider new -- since the Focus is new. Currently, the closest ST I see -- which I would like (black pearl slate) is 200 mi away (in IA). It's also the best deal compared to the silver one locally. I can still find a '10 F-150 locally -- no problem.

I drove 200 mi to buy the Aspen -- did 90% of deal over the internet.

I'll probably wait for a deal to pop out at me. I know I don't need a new vehicle. The Focus is fine, easy to maintain, and are reliable. I also have an eye on a local Fusion SEL V6 (currently discounted $5700). That would be a happy medium of MPG (mid 20s mixed) and size.

Thanks again.

I agree with Jerry, don't hesitate to drive some for the right deal. I started with an email, did an X-Plan deal over the phone for my '08 ST, negotiated a trade-in value on my '08 Mustang GT for it. Then drove the Mustang from Albany NY to Kenosha, Wisconsin. Dropped off the GT and left with the ST to come back home with my Sport Trac. Best road trip I ever made for a vehicle. :supercool:

Sometimes you might find a local dealer that might be willing to search for you to see what's out there, though in my experience local dealers I dealt with would only look out within a couple hundred miles, thats it. I took the time and scoured a bunch of states through online sources to find what I was looking for.

Good luck in your search kkreit.

Damn man, now that's a drive for a vehicle. I drove up to Warwick, R.I. with my ST and a car trailer in tow to go buy my Show Truck a couple years ago.

:driving::banana:

My local Ford dealer has a Enterprise Car rental attached. I rented a F150 Super Cab with the 4.6 for 2 weeks to drive for work. I had most of the same questions you have. It ended up I bought the F150 from Enterprise with around 6 K miles on it. It worked for me! My wife drives the '02 ST now. Let us know what you do! Good luck.

I own both a 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4x4 v6, and 2004 F150 Supercrew Lariat 4x4 5.4 V8, I love them both but the Sport trac is the happy medium I think. I recently drove to Ausin to spend new year and it took me about 15 mintues to park the F150 in the parkin garage, and my wife talked my ear off about how I should of took the trac it would of been muc easier to park. Compairing the power is hard the f150 is easier to accel, but my trac has over size tires, I like the interior space of the f150 but I think with a family of four you will have more room in it. I get better gas milage in the ST, in it I get about 300-350 a tank and the same in the f150 but its a bigger tank,,,so I would probably go ST in this issue....smaller more nimble but still seat the same amount of people.

F150. Better deal, more equity, very similar fuel economy, larger bed.....

More for your money overall.

Although, I still think even the super crew f150 would have trouble equaling the exceptionally large and well designed rear passenger space in a Gen 2 ST.

If you've got kids and the back seat of the Trac is bigger than an F-150, I'd go with the Trac. Used Gen 2's are starting to show up on the lots occassionally now.

Or get a Fusion or Taurus and an old beater truck for $1000 for when you need to haul stuff.

As well as "too little" and "too underpowered", the Focus is also at the height where over 50% of the vehicles on the road these days (heavy trucks, pickup, SUVs, minivans...) have their bumpers right at decapitation height for you and your passengers. That's why your Focus costs more to insure, BTW; dead bodies cost more than scratched bumper covers. I got my ST mainly because, after being hit one time too many by an aggressive big vehicle driver, I decided that my safety is far more important than saving a few MPG.

Yes, gas prices are predicted to to crest $4/gal. this summer. So what? Are the lives of your loved ones any less valuable because of that?

I live in an apartment complex with garage space that must have been designed by by tiny people with tiny cars. But My ST fits in its space remarkably well, and with less effort than I had expected. Other residents own full-size pickups and SUVs. They are all parked outside, in the snow and cold. Their owners must deal with the ravages of the elements, ranging from the summer sun to the winter snows (not to mention all the leaves that find their way into everything). If I had a F-150, I would be forced to park outside on a "first come, first served" basis, meaning that I might have to park quite a ways away from my front door, and risk slipping on the ice hiking to/from the outside parking space. No thanks!

As for distance, I bought my ST from Carmax. They shipped it up from Florida for me to check out. No doubt they made their money, and I could have saved some money if I had done all the legwork. OTOH my time is worth money too, so the time and effort they saved me was worth it.

Latest posts