ST consumer complaint

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Stadnicki

Reaction score

Got this alert from Carstats.com... None of you sent it in did you? :boohoo:

CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10356046

Component: SEATS

Details: PURCHASED VEHICLE 09/03/2010. DRIVER AND FRONT PASSENGER HEAD RESTS ARE ANGLED FORWARD CAUSING HEAD TO BE TITLED FORWARD AND DOWNWARD. CAUSING SEVERE NECK AND BACK PAIN. NO REPLACEMENTS FOUND. FORD MOTOR COMPANY EMAILED.

Occurrences: 1 Injuries: 0

Fail Date: 09/03/2010 Deaths: 0

Date added to datbase: 9/16/2010

[FILE] your own complaint on this model car.

I asked at a dealer about the new highly angled head rests. I was told they were gov't. mandated. My solution would be to pull them all the way out and rotate 180 and reinstall. Might not get as good protection but at least you can drive without laying down.

I guess the key here is that they are supposed to be head 'restraints', not head 'rests'. Meant to reduce whiplash injuries in accidents.

Like Tom mentioned, They are not intended to be used as a rest while driving. Although I have to admit that I have, on occasion, tilted them forward to be able to lean my head back to provide a little support on a long drive.

That complaint letter sounds like an ambulance chaser is trying to beat the bushed to drum up more complaints so that can file a class action suit.

Last edited by a moderator:
My '06 Mustang has the headrests angled pretty far forward. Its not an issue though. Sometimes its nice to put your head back and rest a bit. Bob

I asked at a dealer about the new highly angled head rests. I was told they were gov't. mandated

That implys that all vehicles would have the same uncomfortable headrests, but they don't, so I suspect the dealer has no idea why the Ford headrest were designed that way.

There has been some complaints that most headrests in earlier vehicles are postioned to far away from the head and too low to be effective and may even be dangerous.

Of it is hitting you in the back of the head, it's probably positioned too low and needs to be raised.

...Rich

That's a complaint I would have with my 2010 Transit Connect.........you can't look up towards the shelf they put over the sun visors. Of course that's the position they're keeping your head from is a rear end collision. Guess it works but I hate it under normal driving conditions.

I got the same alert. It is annoying but I figured that it was for head/neck safety in an accident. It bothers me when wearing a baseball hat backwards. The brim hits the headrest and pushes the hat off.

I absoutly LOVE the seats in my 2010 !! Maybe I keep the back tilted more then most and thats why.....

Todd Z

In my 2010 Ford Escape, I keep the seatback pretty vertical, first or second notch from frontmost. I had to remove the headrest as it was forcing my head forward and down. In the Taurus I had before the Escape, the headrest could be turned around, and that worked perfectly for me. But the 2010 Escape's headrest will only fit in one way.

On my 2007 Edge, the headrest were angled so far forward, i too removed them and turned them around 180 degrees. My 2010 STA, they are angled pretty far forward, but it is only annoying if i am tired and try to tilt my head back a little.

Latest posts