Squeeling Noise?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Brown 2

Reaction score
ok this sounds confusing and i dont kno if im gonna explain it right but here it goes:

i have an 01 trac and when im pushing down on the accelerator i hear this high pitched squeeling noise. i dont kno wut it is, but its really getting annoying. the only thing i do about it right now is turn up the radio.

i dont kno whether this has anything to do with it needing a brake job but thats getting done within the week cuz its making my wheels black with brake dust.

Sounds like you need to replace your belt. If it were doing it while braking, I would lean towards your brakes.

A belt is easy to change. You can do it in under 20 minutes.

Tom

Belt, also, is my guess.

Also, don't forget to check the tensioner and idler pulleys, and maybe wiggle

the fan, to check water pump, and alternator and p/s pulleys, while you're at it.

With an '01, I'm guessing you've got some miles on her, and a complete underhood

check wouldnt hurt at this point!:)

Does it do it when in park???...

Could be the front brake seals, there was an issue with that, but i would agree that it is a bad belt, tensioner or idler pulley..

Todd Z

If it is a high-pitched almost pure-tone whine it might be the alternator. That syptom usually only shows up in really cold weather though... But...something to keep in mind.

Chris

Ill bet its the belt..........i had the same problem.......i thought mine might be the altenator problem i read about on here...........so first i replaced the belt with the goodyear Gatorback.........no more noise..........none......gone.......btw mine is an 01 also

alright guys good to kno. when i send it into the shop to get the front brakes replaced i'll get em to check the belts and hoses and do a once over on the engine.

Just a tip Chris, I have the "noise" and the dealership couldnt hear it, mine tends to show up only when it is raining or very moist outside, and as far as the brakes go, i just had mine replaced (rotors and pads) fronts only and they now squeel like crazy and turn my front rims BLACK. Not sure which problems is better but I do know my brakes are giving me a headache. Make sure you request the best pads they have, i didnt even think about it at the time and im sure now that i got the crappiest ones Ford has.....Marsha

Marsha,

Your problem with the squeal, if it is under the hood also, could be a belt or

pulley. The moisture acts somewhat like a "slipping agent" (not a lubricant,

or it wouldn't squeal), allowing the belt to slip on the pulleys causing the squealing

noise. I have had this on several vehicles also.

The excessive brake dust could just be your new pads and rotors seating together.

This is somewhat normal for the first 250-500 miles, depending on your driving

style and habits, city or highway driving, etc...

Being an A.S.E. Master mechanic for 20+ years, the best and safest advice

I can give to anyone, is to never scrimp on the brake work. This doesn't mean

you have to get ripped off in the process, just screen your mechanic carefully,

and get references whenever possible.

I wish you all lived next door to me!!!

:D

I wish you all lived next door to me!!!

Aint that about the truth!!! It makes me sick that shops charge as much as they do for minor repairs.

For everyone out there, if anyone needs brake work, minor engine repairs, servicing, etc. on thier vehicle, I have an open invitation to all member living near me.

I won't do the work, that is for you to learn. I will be there to show you how to do it. I show you one side, you do the other. I will be right behind you making sure it is right. Belt change...cheap and easy. It isn't rocket science. Brakes...a piece of cake. Fluid changes...bring it on. Be it a differential, tranny, engine oil, transfer case, front diff, cooling system, power steering, etc. No biggie.

I would much rather have someone learn then to have them pay a shop to screw something up.

Tom

Caymen,

I Second the Motion!!!

One of my favorite sayings, that can be applied to mechanics, (and all

walks of life):

"Give a man a fish, and you have fed him for a day, Teach him to fish and

you have fed him for a lifetime"!!!

If you have a good mechanic to teach you, and you are willing to learn

(cash-money being a GOOD motivator, here), there is not much that

someone can't learn about auto mechanics.

Please, don't jump all over me about this one, but there are women who are

Surgeons, Heads of Government, and even Rocket Scientists, literally.

So why can't a girl learn to do her own brake job?!?!

No reason in the world!:D

Actually, when Theresa needed her first brake change on her Pontiac, I made her jack her car up and remove the wheels. She asked me why I was "So cruel to her" for making her do that. I told her that if she ever got a flat tire and was unable to call anyone for help, she could take care of her own self. Right away a light lit up over her head and she understood why i wanted her to do that. I also made her watch me do the brakes. After it was finished, she looked at me and said "You mean the dealer wanted to charge me $100.00 to do what you just did?" I said "yup, it was that easy".

Anyone can learn, only if they want to. Women can do anything a man can do. The only difference is that they look better doing it then an ugly guy does. :D

Tom

Latest posts