Sport Trac on Car Carrier

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THX GRAM

Reaction score
Has anyone transported their Sport Trac on a rented car carrier (all wheels off the ground)?

We have a 2002 Sport Trac and would like to transport it on a rented car carrier. After checking the on-line tools (Penske, Budget), none will own up to carrying a Sport Trac. I thought this might be part of the "U-Haul" conspiracy, but reading the detailed specs, it looks like the 2002 fall just outside the box (125" v. 126" wheelbase, 4055 v. 4300 lbs). I could probably cut a few lbs with a dry tank and removing the spare, but I was just curious is anyone else has done it and how did it turn out?

Thanks

It looks like the Trac is heavier than the trailers are rated to handle. It is a safety issue. My trailer has a GVW of 7400 LBS, so in theory, it can haul 5000 LBS.

I am sure you will not have a problem, but you also can be setting yourself up for a problem if one should arise.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Safety is a concern, but not always the whole story. Of course, we're all aware of the U-Haul bias, but when I rented a Penske truck, I noticed the the 22 ft truck carried 1,000 lbs more than the 26 footer. Later, I found out had to do with the GVW of the truck exceeding 26000 lbs, which would require a Commercial license. Suffice it to say the 26 ft'r handled a full load and a car carrier without a problem.

Latest posts