Sport Trac cranks but won't start - Part 2

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Boer

Reaction score
Greetings all. I posted a message yesterday about my Sport Trac not firing up and I appreciate all the responses back. I got a few more details yesterday that I think may narrow the results of what it could be, so figured I would give another post to see if anyone had any suggestions

The additional symptoms are that the vehicle (01 ST) continues to crank, but not turn over, regardless of how long it sits. I found out that as long as I have my foot on the gas pedal, then it will fire up, but the second I let of it stalls. Go to crank it again and it won't start (just crank) until the gas pedal is depressed. I fired it up and kept the gas pedal depressed for about five minutes to see if the truck would then idle by itself, but no luck, the second I let off the gas it died.

I did see a post that said the person adjusted the accelerator cable under the hood, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with that since it appears it needs to be depressed almost 1/4" to keep the truck running. Any thoughts?

(Initial post listed below):

Quick question for the Sport Trac folks out there. I have a 2001 Sport Trac with about 50k miles on it. I drove the vehicle home from the airport last night (40+ miles) and it was raining pretty hard. This morning when I went out to go to work, I cranked the truck and released the key before it was fully started since it normally turns over pretty quickly. I cranked the car over again and released it quickly not thinking and it didn't start. Then the truck would just crank and not turn over. I needed to get to work for a meeting so I just pushed it out of the driveway and took my wifes car. She went out a few hours later and the truck started fine.

I was going to begin diagnosing this evening, but figured I would see if anyone had any input. Here are a few of the places I was going to start based on some of the initial research I did online:

Idler Air Bypass Valve, loose accelerator cable, inertia switch, fuel pump.

I thought if anyone had these same symptoms in the past and had a solution then it may save some time. Any input is welcome and appreciated.

Bad or stuck IAC motor if you have a Job 2 motor.. ( OIL fill on the Passenger side)...

OR a fuel issue....

Todd Z

As the other have said....I would start by cleaning the IAC and the TB, as these are simple and cheap and can be done in the drive way. There are projects on both on the left. If that didn't help I'd go after the fuel filter...

Reset the fuel pump cutoff switch. It's either behind the passenger side kick panel or up on the back of the firewall behind the glove box. Push the button down and hold it for a few seconds. You may have to try it more than once. A couple times my son bumped the switich with his size 13's and killed the motor while I was driving. :blink: The second time resetting it worked but I had a CEL and they ended up replacing the switch. So although your truck did start once afterward, it's possible the cutoff switch could be bad.

THanks to all. I am going to go in and clean the IAC and Throttle Body this weekend. A stuck IAC makes the most sense since the truck has no difficulty in running once the throttle is engaged and the IAC is disengaged, hence a stuck IAC sounds like the most likely cause.

Any easy way to tell if the IAC is dirty vs bad and needs replacing???

I am with the others in that it is the IAC.

The simple fact ti starts and runs ok with slight pedal pressure is a VERY strong indicator of a defective or dirty IAC...

It may possibly be is a throttle position sensor

My experiance with a bad tps. It will start and Idle. It wont excelerate properly.

That is what I have seen. There could be other issues, I dont know.

I would gofor the IAC first.

There is a project on setting the tps. That will show you how to test it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wanted to thank everyone for their comments and suggestions and post the fix for my symptoms in case anyone has these issues in the future and is referencing this info.

The IAC was dirty and I used Todd's step-by-step instructions he has listed to remove and clean it. The valve was sticking and the change in weather temperature would make the valve either stick open or closed and the vehicle would not start, just crank. This also explains why the vehicle would start with the pedal depressed (Not throttle by wire) since it would over ride the iac and allow oxygen to enter the engine.

Anyway, just used a few q-tips and some rubbing alcohol cleaned it and some motor oil provided lubrication.

Thanks again for all the good suggestions.

Latest posts