Sport Trac can't tow!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Roll

Reaction score
I am looking to rent a trailer to move some items from N.C. to N.J. in the fall. I went to the U-haul site to get some prices, and after I entered my vehicle type (2010 ST) I got this pop-up message. Anyone ever hear of this? Also - any suggestions as to renting a trailer for about a week?

U-Haul has chosen not to rent behind this tow vehicle based on our history of excessive costs in defending lawsuits involving Ford Explorer towing combinations. This policy is not related to safety issues. This is an unusual circumstance for U-Haul we have built our success for over 60 years by saying 'yes' to our customers. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and are committed to working with our customers to find alternative options to help with their move.

Don't patronize :throwup:U-Haul!

Last edited by a moderator:
OK - I should have searched this site first. I found all the U-haul stories and towing advice, but I am still unable to find a place to rent a simple box trailer for about 2 weeks (in NJ). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

David,

If you can afford it, you might be able to purchase a small box trailer, (Craigs List) use it to move, then resell it and get your money back. (You would be out more $$ in the start, but be better off in the end) Other than that, check with local mom & pop places. Maybe they can cut you a break on the price for having to bring the trailer back...

I always use the Mom & Pop rental places, but does Ryder or any of the other nationwide companies rent small trailers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Rent a pickup at Home Depot for a couple of hours. Go to the U-Haul place and rent the trailer and tow it home. Return the Home Depot truck. Do your moving with the U-Haul trailer and your Sport Trac.

I would just like to say that if you were to have an accident with your sporttrac while pulling a u-haul, your insurance will not cover anything.

I second the buying option. I actually bought a cheap trailer for about $300 and redid the wood decking on it when I needed to haul some things from MI to MN. I could probably sell it for $500 pretty easy now but have gotten a lot of use out of it. Do some searching on the web in your area, there may be some other rental sites that will rent to you. They were too expensive for me in because I would've needed it for 5-6 days and I think they wanted around $45-50/day so it was almost an even deal to buy the trailer. I was trying to find some that I could just rent 1 way like U-haul but had the same problems as everyone else and didn't feel comfortable bringing my F-150 and towing w/ the ST for liability/insurance isues just in case we got into an accident.

Hi guys,

Im doing the exact thing, I have an ealier post.

What are your thoughts on this trailer?

http://cnj.craigslist.org/grd/1867532199.html

Think it can make it NJ to FL? If so in a month I can sell it to droll.. lol

I want an enclosed but Miami has higher need for landscaper trailers..

or is it too big for my ST?

thanks!

(dont mean to hijack :smack: )

As for buying and reselling, you'd be amazed at how strongly a name-brand trailer holds its value. I purchased a 5'x8' Brimar in 2005 for $1,000. I traded it in on a 5'x10' in May, getting $750, which means the guy sold it at least for $850. When I went back to the dealer to pick up the aluminum rims for the new trailer, the old already was gone.

As for the Craig's List post, that's a bit high but probably based on the add-ons for landscaping.

If you go to the UHaul location and talk to anyone with half a brain and explain the situation to them, hopefully they will be like the guy I got and they will enter that you have an Expedition instead.:grin:

I have a 4x8 Open top Utility trailer I would lend you if needed... I am on LI ...... I know it is open and you would need tiedowns and a good tarp....

Can you rent a small van or truck ??

Todd Z

I find this interesting....UHaul won't rent a trailer to tow behind a Sportac but sells trailer hitch recievers. I have one on my trac. Still has the UHaul stickere on it. I vote for buy and re sell.

I have been looking for rental and buy/sell options and the answers are not very pretty.

The biggest problem with the buy/sell option is the initial outlay of about $1500 - $2500 for a 6'x10' or 12' cargo trailer. That seems to be the going rate on ebay and craigslist and a few others. I admit It would be cool to own a trailer and to customize it to "go" with the ST... maybe paint it Colorodo red and put some cool lights and stripes on it....... but I digress.

I could slap some plywood on my decently sized boat trailer and use that, but I will be hauling many loose items and I was really looking for a closed trailer. (Thanks Todd - that is a very generous offer).

Penske only rents trucks, but I was able to find a local trailer place that will rent me one for $300 for the 1sr week and $250 for the 2nd. That seems pretty reasonable and I am leaning toward that option. (I put their url below).

Thanks for all your suggestions. It was a big help. Screw :fire:U-haul!

Dave

I tried to rent a U-Haul trailer from the local place a few years ago. I tried the "Ford pickup" trick, but the clerk knew me from EMS work and knew I owned a ST. So much for that.

I was in NJ and moving to FL and ran into the same issue. I hate U-Haul, but they are the only ones renting those things and not to me with a Trac. I felt safer in a crappy budget truck than driving a U-haul deathtrap.

Not only can the Trac not tow, but it cannot be towed. The 2 and 4 wheel trailers from Budget and Penske are rated to 4000LBS, while the Trac is 4700LBS.

Did not matter, I had to make two trips anyway. Budget truck to FL, CHARGER to NYC, Trac to FL.

Mileage was something like 300/Tank, 450/Tank, 300/Tank. I was impressed with the Budget truck and the Charger, then I realized how big the Budget tank was and how small the Charger's tank was.