Split topper leaks

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger Batts

Reaction score
Anybody else out there have issues with the split tonneau cover leaking when it rains? I actually work for a dealership and my techs tell me it is normal. I get so much water in my bed, that I would actually be better off without the topper!

If you are speaking about the factory tonneau there is project to fix a couple years back. I just can't find it right now.

I have even gone so far as to try to adjust all the mount points myself. It has slowed the leaks down some, but I am still getting a lot of water in the bed.

I have the OEM Split cover on my '07 I've had no issues with any leaks, even in heavy rain or the drive-thru carwash which sprays water from all sides. I've removed the cover a few times and still haven't had any issues with water getting in, not even a drop.

No leaks with my 04 either. I would check to see if your bed rails are out of rack, and that adjustment was to try and set the latches so the cover gets pulled down tighter, so the gasket and bed rails seal. Good luck with the adjustments, hope you get it.

Gary D.

Roger,

Having owned 2 Sport Tracs, as well as the inventor and manufacturer of the LeverLift and EZlift tonneau cover lift-assist system,I have a lot of experience with the OEM hard tonneau cover.

Originally Ford advertised the cover as being weather proof. When people complained to the dealers that their cover leaked, Ford claimed that the cover was not designed to be waterproof..??? Perhaps not waterproof, but weather proof means it should keep out the rain under normal conditions, or Ford spent a lot of money designed a cover with a lot of weatherstipping for now good reason.

Assuming you have inspected your tonneau cover for cracks, warping or twisting, and all your weatherstripping is in tact and in good condition, there are two possible areas that can cause water leaks. One is around the parimeter weatherstripping, and the second is through the hinge.

The hinge is the biggest suspect since they have actually installed the hinge seal in wrong on some tonneau covers which causes them to leak. The cure for that is to drill out all the rivets in the center hinge, remove the hinge seal and reinstall the seal using black silicone sealant and screws to replace the rivets. This was done by a member named Phill Roccle of NY City. He did a project on this, but I don't know if it's still there.

In my library, there is a document on how to align and adjust your tonneau cover if you have a LeverLift, or EZLift tonneau cover lift-assist kit, but the same principles apply to the tonneau cover even without the lift-assist kits.

Pay particular attention to the center hinge area since that is where most leaks occur. The problem is that the center hold down pin brackets are installed very loosely and allow the cover to bounce up and down as much as 1/4 inch or more. If you ajust the cneter hold down pin brackets to hold the cover down tighter you will probably eliminate most if not all of your leaking problem.

The corner latch brackets have very little adjustment, and as long as the latches are good they are probably OK. If you do need to adjust the latches, you can use a small rotory grinder to elongate the bolt holes in the bracket to give you a bit more adjustmet. I found that just grinding one hole a little longer, I could pivot the bracket downward just enought to get a much snugger fit at all four corners.

Good luck,

...Rich

I love my split top. It has never leaked. I have had the front lock cyl replaced twice...:angry:The other downside to it for me is the weight...too heavy. I wish there was a way it could lock in place while folded in half to make it easier for one man to carry...did ya ever have it slip and flop open when you're carrying it to put in on, or store it...ouch!

Mine dripped alot and by running water on top found it comming right through the hinge.

An easier way to test is to squeze the hinge around the rivits with pliers and see if there is movement.

To repair, I drilled out the rivets one at a time so as not to disturb the gasket, and replaced with short machine screws.

I've never had another leak since.

As for moving the cover by myself, I usually bungie the halves together.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

I drilled out all the rivets and took the hinge apart, cleaned it, used RTV sealant and used bolts to hold it together as in the above picture. It is leak free.