Spider Gear Removal

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austin Byrd

Reaction score
Ok, to make a long story short I'm changing out my spider gear in my 01 4X2 Sport Trac it has a Non-limited 4.10 ratio. Can someone please tell me how the hell to remove it? Its the only thing keeping me from changing out my gears after a loose pin destoried my stock rear end. I can take pictures if need be. Please!!!!

Remove the 8MM bolt ( or about that size) That holds in the round pin. You may have to turn the rear to find the bolt, IT is on the side of the carrier.. Once the bolt is out, Remove the pin and they will come out..

Todd Z

Im sorry wrong gear. How do I remove the drive gear? I figured out I have to remove the drive shaft from the yoke by the four bolts holding it to the companion flange. After was the said flange removed the final gear would only rock back in forth. Now Im lost has to how to remove the final gear from the stock set up. My girl friend is talking about kicking me out since I dont have a ride.

LOL....

This is not a simple repair... you need to remove the Back cover, and pull the whole carrier out....

Todd Z

looking up up her rear

97304f9c37d66df77e868e3a397f6d82.jpg

other side

e68c98ec3547672253e86ac8dd14501d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to remove the pinion FRONT seal, the washer and the front bearing, then it will come out...

Todd Z

Austin,

Sopunds like you do not know what you are doing. Leave rear end work to the profeccionals. If you do not know how to remove the ring (or pinion) gear (or what it is called), you should not be doing what you are doing.

You will destroy your rear end in a heartbeat.

Good luck!!!

Tom

Todd, Thanks for comfirming what I was thinking. Didn't want to start prying without comfirmation first.

Tom, I dont think I can screw it up much more than it already it is. I got a spider gear hanging from a hole it punched threw the dust cover. I may not be completely sure as to what Im doing so that is why I am asking questions. Thank you for you concern, If I was anyone else I would agree with you completely but Im not. and to close this message up if I trusted anyone else with my ride in this area I would have gone with a pro. I have specs and I found part break downs so Im good now.

Thanks again guys. Ya'll are a real big help in a time in need.

Do you know how to properly set the backlash and pinion angle?

That will destroy your gears in a matter of moments.

I have no clue and will not even attempt to rebuild a rear end.

Tom

Tom, you and me both. I have always let the profesional techs build repair or upgrade my rear gears. Get the wrong tolerences and you trash the whole thing within a block.

edit; I hope you do know what you are doing. You didnt know that was the pinion gear and shaft.

You need to put the nut back on the pinion gear and use a hammer to knock it out. Then use a seal puller to get the seal out. Then you need a special tool to get the bearing out if needed. When you put it all back together you will need a in/lbs troque wrench to tighten the pinion nut. You will need several specialized tools to do this work.

But it also appears that nothing is wrong with your pinion gear, so I must ask why are you taking it out?

Chad,

Look at the closest teeth to you, at the 9 O'Clock position.....

He is missing some teeth tips..

Todd Z

12:30 and 3:00 are screwed, too.

Do the first gens also have the crush sleeve that you have to use a laser micrometer on?

These aren't THAT hard to do and realistically with the exception of a torque wrech you don't absolutely need any special tools, it helps to have them but it is not required. The first gens do have a crush sleeve that needs to be replaced and will be a pain in the ass to get it to collapse when you go to torque it down, I don't know what a laser micrometer has to do with setting up rear ends but I assure you that you don't need one here. I can say though that if you don't have any automotive background (not to be mean but sounds like you don't) than this job is better left to someone else...or try going to a junk yard and find a used rear end, it will be cheaper than buuying the parts that is needed to fix yours