Speedometer correction after adding bigger tires

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalton Hill

Reaction score
I have a question.

Will a dealership reprogram my speedometer after i have put bigger tires on my st.

or is there a cheap device i can buy to correct this problem i have 275/70/16 and the org. tires were the 255/75/16

If your oem tires were 255-70/16 not 255-75/16. Your new tires are 1.1" taller. You will need an adjustment...

On my My 04 I did the same thing. The speedo was off by about 2%. I lost about 20 miles on a tank of gas.

The truck ran the same.... And you are putting 20 miles less a tank or so....

I did eventually correct it with the XCal.

Todd Z

I think I did something wrong with my XCAL speedo change. Since I put on my new tires I am getting about 50-75 less mpg per tank.:blink::blink:

Chad

Every tire is different, especially between manufacturers. Look at their sales data for the outside diameter. Your speedo reading with the stock tires was probably off low anyway, if the tires are taller it will correct it. Going from a 75 profile down to a 70 may negate the bigger size's effect also. I went from a P235/75/16 on my '02 trac to a LT265/75/16, and my speedo now read right on, where before, it read 3-4 mph faster than what i was actually doing.

The question is where do you want absolute accuracy? Using my Scangauge, my speedo is actually reading about 2-3 MPH faster at 55 MPH than the computer is showing. I haven't tested yet to see which reading the odometer will be more consistent with.

The XCal allows you to input the Revolutions Per Mile that your tire requires, you can get this info off the tire manufacturers site and it should be more accurate than tire size calculators. The only other variable is rim size and its effect on tire diamter. A narrower rim will cause the tire to be slightly taller and vice versa for a wider rim. The most accurate way to get the measurement is to mount the tire on your vehicle, make a chalk mark on the tire then roll it forward until it leaves two marks on the ground. Measure the distance between them, that will give you the true diameter of the tire in inches, then divide 63360 by that number to get the RPM's of your tire.

On my old Trac I just allowed that I was going about 10% faster than the speedo said and didn't worry about it.

Of course then it would also show 10% less miles, wouldn't it? ;) ;)

Every tire is different, especially between manufacturers. Look at their sales data for the outside diameter. Your speedo reading with the stock tires was probably off low anyway, if the tires are taller it will correct it. Going from a 75 profile down to a 70 may negate the bigger size's effect also. I went from a P235/75/16 on my '02 trac to a LT265/75/16, and my speedo now read right on, where before, it read 3-4 mph faster than what i was actually doing.

What STanner says is exactly right, when i went to the bigger tires i fully

expected my speedo to be off by about 5 miles per hour as i had always

assumed that it was dead on.

after putting the new tires on i grabbed my trusty GPS and took off down

the road, imagine my surprise when i found that from 25 to 40 my speedo

was about 3 mile per hour under but from about 50 up to 80 mph it was now

dead on. i didnt check it past 80 as i have that damn drive shaft vibration

i still need to fix

since most of my driving is in that range my speedo racked up extra miles

on every tankful that i didnt really cover fooling me in to believing i was getting

better MPG than i actually was getting and i wonder how many of you guys

that went to bigger tires and complained of losing fuel mileage actually have

the same issue as me and are now reading accurate miles and

are calculating actual true fuel mileage?

anyone with stock tires and larger tires with access to a GPS if you can please post your

speedo/GPS results at 25, 35,45,55,65 and 75 it would be neat to compare them.

Latest posts