Speedo Re-calibration?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrlunchbox

Reaction score
When I bought my Trac it had 255/70/16 tires on it. I upgraded to 265/75/16 for some time and am now back to 235/70/16 tires. When I had the 265's on the speedo was only about one MPH off from my GPS speed. I just noticed today that I am now almost ten, yes ten MPH off from the GPS speed compared to my speedo. The speedo is reading ten MPH faster than actual travel. I am curious as to why such a significant difference and if I can some how re calibrate it? Thanks!

You can have the ECU flashed from the dealer for a price, or you can use a Xcal and do it yourself.

I am assuming it is the 4:10. I should look into that someday to see. It did come with 255 originally but I wouldn't think that would matter. I thought the difference would be from the different height IE going to 75 then back to 70 as even the 255's were 70. Maybe the dealer it is! haha

My '02 3:73 geared Trac had the 235's, and it read 3-4 mph high... When I went to 265's, the speedo was dead on accurate. Now, with LT245's, I reads 1-1/2 high.. I would imagine it matters which brand of tires you get... I prefer the larger tires, as the 235 look tiny in the wheel wells.. See my library for pics of both sizes...

Ahh yes I see. Actually when I looked at it again my speedo is only 5 to 6mph off so its not too bad. I can live with it. These tires I just put on are used so I only plan on keeping them for a year or so. When I get my new ones i'll go bigger than current as these ones do look way too small! haha

Based on what I see from your library pic, you have the package that included 4.10 gear which means your ST came with 255/70-16 tires. The 235's won't hurt and might "feel" a little peppy.

Latest posts