Speed Sense - Trivia Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, it still has the wire as it gives the ECM the information in A/C voltage and the ECM converts it to D/C voltgae and then sends the signal to your speedometer.

I do not know the pin location off hand....

A/C....

Alternating current ??? What generates it ???

Todd Z

CONCEPT OF ALTERNATING CURRENT

a coil rotating in a magnetic field actually generates a current which regularly changes direction. This current is called ALTERNATING CURRENT or ac.

that was from the net....

GM,

I "know" what A/C current is, But I don't know of any sensor on the ST that outputs a A/C voltage...

Todd Z

:lol: I knew you knew that. ;)

Rico, I know your are trying to figure something out. . maybe Hal will answer ya soon.

sorry todd...I couldn't help myself ....just messin with ya! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am positive the sensor in GM's does produce A/C volts that the PCM / ECM converts. Though I have not tested the Trac speedo unit, (at the tranny location, not the dash speedo), I have done several other Fords and I assume the Trac is the same as other Fords.

The reapir manual has you put a 10 meg impedence (sp) or lower on A/C and hand spin the gear reading the output on the DVOM....

Last edited by a moderator:
The speed sensor in the Trac isn't a little a/c generator? All I know is my buick has an ac one, which fits this gm sensor, but ford is not gm, and this revelation would change the way that I think of VSS'....forever. :)

Latest posts