Speed bump then squeek

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an '02 sporttrac, when I go over speed bumps or humps and the truck starts hoping up and down I get a loud squeeking sound. Can something be done about this, maybe some lubrication?

Thanks

there are several points on the ST that are known for noises...

Most are the sway bars....

Best thing is to push down on the truck and have some one listen to see where it might be..

IT also can be ball joints or other suspension part..

Todd Z

It could be the shocks, if you still have the stock ones on. The stock shocks on my '05 trac made a sqeeking noise, when I went over speed bumps, or pushed down on the truck, before I changed them out.

as Todd said, there are a bunch of points, especially in the rear that I've noticed start to squeak. Every now and then I spray some white lithium grease on the sway bar (any attachment bushings, including the two large center ones and both ends of the end links), and all areas between leaf spring sections. I've noticed that I have to do this a few times a year, more often during winter when I try to keep the undercarriage flushed out as often as I can. I've also heard that the tailgate can squeak, so I keep the contact points lubed as well (only had to do that once). I plan on adding grease nipples to the main sway bar bushings this summer, which should help also.

Eddie, the bouncing is the shocks not dampening the suspension. Wore out. They may be the sqeek. Replace them first. If the sqeek stops thats it. If not It can be a several things. Sway bar bushings, end link bushings, control arm bushings, worn leaf spring pads. A matter of searching. the excess bounce is the shocks though.

Latest posts