Spark plugs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Barber

Reaction score
So i attempted to change my pugs today. i got the drivers side in which was difficult at best but on the pass side i could not get the rear plug at all and the middle one is concerning me. i could only get it in about 1/2 way then it would not thread any more. im taking it into a shop on monday to get the back plug done and the middle one checked out. i should have had it done in the first place because not only will i have to pay $ ive paid in my own blood. :angry:

Also taking out the inner plastic well makes it even easier and it is 5 min to take off and re install the fender well.....

It sounds like the tools you have were not quite right for the job......

IF the middle plug does not "thread" as you say, I have no clue what that meens...

Todd Z

If the plug threaded half way and stoped. My guess is a broken thread in the aluminum head. If it came out hard. Good chance it was originaly over tightened and strectched the aluminum theads.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the ST uses threaded steel inserts in the heads......

Todd Z

yes the plug went in 1/2 way and stopped, and i got to it through the wheel well but didnt take it apart, i can try again tomorrow. The plug did come out hard, probably a little harder than the others. I could tell they were the original plugs. Todd, are you saying that the threaded steel insert would be difficult to damage by the plugs thread?

What did the old plug look like? Did it have threads missing? Would be an easy way to check wouldn't it? I recently changed mine on my 01 and the threded end of the plugs were pretty rusty, I made sure I put anti-seize on when I put the new plugs in.

I would say that if the threads were undamaged then it was the rust or the new plugs got slightly cross threaded. Just my opinion tho.

I recently changed my plugs too and the factory autolites were pretty rusty too. When I put the new plugs in I used anti-seize lube and didn't have any trouble.

Latest posts