Spark plugs and wires changed

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Geist

Reaction score
Wow! I finished changing my plugs and wires. That was not a fun task. I ended up with both wheels off and scratched up hands/knuckles. I slammed my pinky on the first plug. Ouch! So, of course I hit it 50 more times while changing the others. Changing the wires is a piece of cake. It's getting those plugs out that is a bear. It took me a couple of hours over two days. I was interrupted on Saturday by some snow/sleet/rain. Anyway, here's to a job I hope I never have to do again.

Summit racing gave me a $15 credit (and a free hat) for being a first time shopper with them...what should I get for 15 bucks?

Here's the info. on the spark plug wires:

re: Spark plug wires by Ryan Y.,12/10/2005 17:11 PT

if you get taylors from summit listen very carefully to this...

I just recently bought them from summit. The reason the pic looks different is because they ARE different. If you search for them under sport trac, it gives the WRONG part number. It lists the sport trac as needing the ones for the 4.0L V6 OHV... the trac has the 4.0L V6 SOHC... the correct wires are listed under Explorer.. I just returned the wrong ones and they sent me the right ones. The part number is TAY-72632. I installed them about a week ago so I know those are the correct ones.

hope this helps.

-Ryan

Q...spark wires do tend to breakdown with age,heat,and millage...they will start carrying lower voltage to the plugs...in most cases it is subtle and you dont notice it...there are plug wires such as spiral core that have less resistance and will carry more voltage to the plugs...they wil outlast factory filiment design also...

I just changed out my plugs/wires with motorcraft double platinum plugs and JBA powercables from EE...cant complain-a lot better throttle response and better idle for sure!

Andy

H,

You told us the bad, Now how is the good??? Hows she run??

Todd Z

There is a small difference in my opinion. It runs just a bit smoother and the idle is better. I am very happy with the upgrade. Plus, I feel a little closer to the ST. It was time for a little bonding.

My son who is three and "helped me" said the wires should be replaced because they were dirty. That and the 68k miles on the truck prompted the change. Plus...any excuse to upgrade, right?

Does anyone know if summit sells those oil drain plugs? The plugs that you just have to "flip the switch" to change the oil. I looked in the catalog and the website (a little) and didn't see anything.

The plugs are not that hard to replace. I wouldn't think twice about doing them again.

I went as far as indexing the plugs, so not only did I remove a plug and replace them, I did it twice. Once to check the rotation of the plug, then I removed them to place the proper washer on it, then reinstalled the plug.

Tom