Spark Plug replacement

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berf

Reaction score
I've been reading about all the problems with the two piece spark plugs used on the Ford V8 4.6 engine breaking when removed, and everyone recommends not to replace them with the OEM Motorcraft PZT2FE plug. So far, the only replacement plug I've found is a Champion 7989

Has anyone found any other alternative spark plugs for this engine? Does NGK make a plug for it?

Depends on the year, the 08 and 09 don't have the snap off plugs. I looked a while back and all i found aftermarket spark plug manufacturers for this 1 piece was Champion, Brisk Racing, MSD, E3, and Accel. none of the popular manufactures do that im aware of.

According to the TSB I read, 07 and 08 model years are affected. Maybe it was fixed later in the production run for 08 models, so possibly it won't affect all 08 models.

No not all 08... have to check boots on coils...

Does anyone know if Motorcraft made any changes to the plug in later years? If I reinstall a new SP-547 PZK1F Motorcraft plug will it also break in half later when I try to remove it, or did Motorcraft strengthen the plug so that won't happen anymore?

i believe there is a different motorcraft number.... also there is a 1 piece out there...

So I've been doing some more research, and here is what I've found.

Use the Ford SP547 and hope and pray that the redesign is better and won't break on removal. I've read that while it is still a two piece plug, the SP547 is now welded internally instead of being crimped together like the old version. But the only real way to confirm that would be to split one apart and see.

SP546.PNG

Champion 7989 One piece, but has some terrible reports on Amazon for failing and causing misfires.

E3.70 One piece, however the website doesn't say if these are platinum plug, they may just be standard plugs E3 Sparkplugs $11 each

MSD Iridium One Piece part # 37164 Search The Holley Website - $50 for 4 or about $100 for all 8

Brisk Racing has two, a Copper ($11 each) and a Silver ($18 each). Part numbers 3VR17C (copper) and 3VR17YS (Silver)
https://www.briskracing.com/brisk-s...s/brisk-super-copper-3vr17c-spark-plug-detailhttps://www.briskracing.com/brisk-s...-plugs/brisk-silver-3vr17ys-spark-plug-detail

So far, I'm leaning toward the MSD Iridium plugs at around $50 for 4.

Last edited:
Sounds about right....The champion are not plat i believe either.... Sounds like it Motorcraft or the MSD....

So I started pulling plugs today. Two of them came out by hand, with zero effort, I could literally unscrew them with my fingers. I noticed both of them were the newer PZK type. The one that broke was the older PZT style, I had to use the lisle porcelain puller on it. So it appears someone has at least replaced some of the plugs in this truck before, but not all of them. I'm letting the rest soak overnight, as they are being stubborn.

Anyway, just for grins I decided to cut one of the newer PZK plugs apart to see if I could find any indication that it was welded at the joint internally. I'm attaching the photo of what I found. The cut apart PZK is on the left, the older PZT that the collar came off is on the right. I can see zero evidence on the internal side of the joint that it has been bonded in any way. It is crimped on, just like the older style, and when I finished cutting it, the top and bottom halves just feel apart from each other.

So I guess the moral of the story here is that while the newer style Motorcraft plugs do have some difference in appearance, the joint for the two halves is definetly not welded. Though I can see some minor differences in the shape of the ridge for the crimp, but my gut feeling is that these PZK style may have the same breakage problems that the PZT do.

IMG_4617.JPG

IMG_4616.JPG

IMG_4622.JPG

Last edited:
By the way, I noticed some carbon build up on the pistons when I shinned a flashlight into the empty spark plug holes, and I wanted to flush out the spark plug wells anyway, so I took some Berrymans B12 carb cleaner and shot it down into the empty holes and onto the piston. I then used a small diameter hose connected to a vacuum device to suck it all out after it had a few minutes to soak. I was amazed at what came out, it was very dark and had carbon chuncks in it. When I was done, the top of the pistons now look shiney again. Here is a photo of what came out of two of the cylinders.

And I had run two tankfuls through treated with Chevron Techron fuel cleaner before I started this project. Still quite a bit of carbon remained. I'm going to repeat this process on all of the other cylinders. It seems to be an effective way to clean them out.

IMG_4623.JPG

Last edited:
Good old Ford lying again.... Good info, thanks for sharing..... As for the carbon maybe its pieces of the plugs... LOL...…

Latest posts