Spare tire ?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh OH

Reaction score
Quick one this time for ya'll.

Gettin' ready to do the cross country drive back home from Cali here in 2 months, my spare tire is still the stock 235/70R16 size. But my new ones are larger. Anyone know if you can fit a 265/75R16 tire in the spare tire well under the truck or is it too big?

the old one is 29.4 tall

the new is 32.2 inches tall..

I am going to say it will not fit

Todd Z

I have an 05 with the 255/70/16 spare. My truck was just on a lift and there was at least

2 inches of space available on each side. I would say your tire would fit.

Guess I'll have to wait and see. Worst case situation I can always put the spare in the bed, but I'd rather not since I know I'm going to need the storage space. Thanks for the advice.

If you use the stock size spare, and have different sized tires. Then you need to use the spare on the front only, and do not use 4x4 with the smaller tire on. Using different size tires on a live differencial will bind the spyder gears.

Yes I know it means a lot of extra work if you have a flat on the rear, but I decided that for the difference in cost I would just do it if needed... !

There is some extra room on your right front quarter. I have seen it done before, on that Trac that looked like a pimp's shoe.

For that matter you could use the other quarter for your dog, a chair or something. Everything is fair game after seeing this debacle.

If you have fairly new tires and they are in great shap, I would just carry a can of flat fix and perhaps a small 12V tire inflator compressor. If you happent to pick up a nail and get a flat, the can of flat-fix will seal the leak and you can use the air compressor to pump up the tire to sufficient pressure to drive to the next town where you can get the tire serviced properly.

...Rich

Be careful with the flx a flat.. If you have chrome rims that stuff will destroy them, you might as well drive on the flat.

As for a 12v tire inflator compressor, I don't know what kind of tires you have but I have BFG A/T KO's,, just under 33 inches... That little 12v tire inflator won't fully inflate that tire. .I can hardly use the one at the gas station most days because it does not have enough force.

I have to use my husband's 5hp 30 gallon air compressor at home to get those things fully inflated.

I do think it is possible to get a spare tire up there that is the same size as your bigger tires. Try it and see. But make sure you protect the rim, because that metal thing that holds it in place will scratch a chrome or aluminum rim.

Latest posts