So, I've got this transmission issue...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy VanNess

Reaction score
2001, Automatic Transmission, about 236,000 miles (all original)

Once or twice in the past few weeks, I have gotten home to my driveway where I back in. I put it in park and as I let off the brake it catches gear but then seems to skip a bit and lurch forward. (My driveway is a very slight incline) It happened once about 3 or 4 weeks ago, and then once about a week or so ago.

It happened again yesterday, but in a scary fashion. I got home, backed in as usual. No lurching when I put in park, I got up to my porch to unlock the front door, AND THEN the truck lurched forward. Just a little, but it caught a gear or tooth, and stopped. I turned just as it was settling back into a stop. (slight bouncing back and forth)

I searched through a bunch of previous posts and couldn't find anything similar to this. Has anybody heard of this or know what it might be?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,

Tommy

Cable is out of adjustment, the 2 screws behind the steering column are loose or the Parking PAWL in the tranny is worn or weak.

Start using your parking brake, IF its not rusted or frozen.

Todd Z

Thanks Todd. I will check these out. Parking brake works well. Looks like it's gonna get a lot more use now.

Much appreciated.

Tommy

Latest posts