sluggish trac lately

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zak Paull

Reaction score
So heres whats going on lately it seems like my trac has gotten slow in city driving especially when im accelerating. On the highway it doest feel to much different. I have a flowmaster exhaust, and a K&N cold air. To eliminate a few things the air filter is clean, the MAF is clean. I kinda feel like it is the cats because they smell alittle rotten lately and its acting like my ranger did when they went bad but I dont hear any ratteling when I hit them. I havent taken it to a shop yet because I wanted to hear your guys opinions. Thx in advance.

PeZ,

I see that you have an '02. How many miles?. An '02 should have had a complete

tune-up by now, regardless of miles. Air filter,(which you did mention), plugs, maybe wires,

fuel filter, etc... And whether you drive aggressively or not, may have something to do with

carbon build-up in your cylinders, and your catalytic converters performance. Also,

If you are running Premium Fuel, if you do not need to do so, as most 'Tracs don't, that may

add to your total performance problem.

Don't forget to check your belts, hoses, and any other rubber under the hood, for signs

of cracking and/or deterioration at this stage of your 'Trac.

All fluids, also. Anti-freeze, gearbox(4WD), axle lube, etc... All of these factors, if not

maintained, can relate to the performance degredation you have described.;)

It has 60k on it. I dont really drive aggresive. I run premium, and fuel cleaner every once in awhile. Also run prolong through it. Havent changed plugs or fuel filter.

I can almost guaranty it is the fuel filter.....

And at 60 K, you may want do do drive train fluids, coolant, P/s fluid and brake fluid changes...

And while your in there, plugs and wires...

Todd Z

Premium causes carbon build-up in the intake and cylinder heads. I'll bet your engine is choking on carbon, and your catalytic converters are plugged from the premium gas deposits.

Filling an ST with premium is nothing but a waste of money, unless it's specifically tuned for it with an aftermarket tuner.

Andrew,

Nothing will happen this time, Just run it out and switch back to 87...

Todd Z

I never understood this “carbon build up” with Premium. I ran premium on a 93 Dodge Shadow for 11 years and never had that problem. In fact, the car (now owned by a friend on mine still has no problems with that.

And the wasting money stuff, at only 20 cents a gallon difference between Regular and Premium, and a 22.5 gallon tank that I fill up every two weeks, comes out to a whopping $117 a year, or only $4.50 a tank.

Now, I am not telling anyone to start using it, it is just my personal preference.

Ape Out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well next week im going to change the plugs, wire, fuel filter, and flush coolant. Already had the trans done a month ago. A few more questions what plugs and wires have you guys been using, and where do I get the fuel filter. thx

Last edited by a moderator: