sluggish take off

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniel porter

Reaction score
tomorrow july 12, 2013 i plan on buying a 2005 sport trac xlt adrenalin from a toyota dealer with 99066miles on it. i test drove it today and it is in superb condition. pristine clean. it seems to have a rather sluggish take off. (5 speed automatic. v6 ) i have an '04 escape v6 automatic that does not have sluggish take off.

what's up with this?

thanks

daniel

Check the transmission fluid level - before you close the deal. A pre-purchase inspection by a 3rd party shop is money well spent.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would take it to a good shop and have them do a prepurchase inspection on it. It will cost you a liitle bit but could potentially save you big time if they find any issues.

Are you trying to say that it is slower than your Escape or that you feel that something is wrong with the ST and causing it to accelerate slow?

Apples and oranges. Around 1000 pound curb weight difference. 0-60 almost 2.5 seconds with similar HP. (3.0L vs. 4.0L)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sport Trac's don't fly, so you should not expect them to "Take Off" and become airborne...:grin:

Seriously, I agree with swshawaii. You cannot compare the acceleration of dissimilar vehicles. And what makes you think it is sluggish?

If it is so slow to be noticeable, don't buy it unless the seller agrees to fix it. However, you might want to know what the rear axle gear ration is, and test drive several other V6 Sport Trac to get a more accurate 0-60 mph comparison with a stop watch.

...Rich

Highly suggest looking for 2007 or later Sport Trac as these are Gen 2 vehicles and completely different in so many ways including safety changes. Having owned both the Gen2's are so much better built. Gen1's are getting kind of old now so unless you want to buy into a bunch of repairs a better/safer investment would be Gen2's. Just my thoughts.....love both Gen1 and Gen2 but doubt I'd buy a Gen1 now after having a Gen2.

Highly suggest looking for 2007 or later Sport Trac as these are Gen 2 vehicles and completely different in so many ways including safety changes. Having owned both the Gen2's are so much better built. Gen1's are getting kind of old now so unless you want to buy into a bunch of repairs a better/safer investment would be Gen2's. Just my thoughts.....love both Gen1 and Gen2 but doubt I'd buy a Gen1 now after having a Gen2.

The ST is a HEAVY truck, and slightly under powered. I bet the truck needs a good tune up, full fluid service and TLC.

Just beceause it looks good doesent mean it was taken care of.

Todd Z

Latest posts