Silly Olympic Sports

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rich,

I think each gold metal is worth about $600. Not much tax on that. But each gold metal winner gets $25,000. That is where the $8,000 in taxes comes about as winnings are taxable. As I understand it there is a Bill to forgive that.

Redfish,

That sounds about right, but the News article about the tax claimed it was a tax on the medal itself and never mentioned any monetary value of the medal or any money awarded to the medal winners? I was not aware that their was a cash award given to medal winners? I thought the only monetary gain the athletes received was from product endorsements.

Yes, I also saw where a bill was introduced to waive the taxes for the Olympic medal winners...the very next day after the broadcast about the taxes on the medals (or cash award)

...Rich

Redfish, yeah, I saw that report that the gold medal has about $600 worth of precious metals, the silver has around $300-$400, and the bronze has about $6. (No, that's not a typo.) But they will also bring huge amounts if they are ever auctioned.

The determination of the value has proven to be a bone of contention for other memorabilia as well. I remember the situation of a guy who caught one of Barry Bonds milestone homeruns (I forget which one), and wanted to keep it. The IRS tried to say that obtaining the ball counts as income, and he thus owes taxes on the value of the ball, which they were valuing at the price it would bring in at auction--a high enough amount that the only way he could have paid the taxes would be to sell the ball. He was attempting to counter that argument by saying that until he puts the ball up for sale, and the market causes the value to change, it's just a ball, and therefore has a value of about $3. I never heard what the eventual outcome was. But I personally thought he shouldn't have to pay anything on it until he decides to sell it and realizes the market value.

As I understand it there is "Case Law" that basically decided that if the IRS wanted to go after the value it would have to go after the present metal content value. From what I read it is doubtful that the IRS will or even can go after these possible taxes. The cash awards are another question all together.

Redfish, that makes sense to me. I could only see them trying to tax the resale value of the medal if they actually resold it.

Latest posts