SHOX OR NO SHOX ?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Nawotka

Reaction score
MY SON DRIVES AN '01 ST W/150K MILES,AND THE ORIGINAL SHOCKS.WHAT DICTATES WHETHER OR NOT NEW SHOCKS ARE IN ORDER AND WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BUYING OEM REPLACEMENTS IN MY LOCAL PARTS STORE OR GOING TO THE TRUCK SHOP FOR RANCHO/EDELBROCK ETC? I DON'T DRIVE IT SO I CAN'T ATTEST TO IT'S HANDLING,BUT I'M CONCERNED.

The OEM shocks were worn out the day it came from the factory.

Change them out.

A good aftermarket shock will be an improvement, no matter the brand.

I currently run Monroe Reflex shocks on my 2002 Trac and I have Ranch 9000's on the wifes Explorer. The Rancho's are not worth the money. The Reflex are nice shocks at a great price.

Tom

It's pretty much agreed that the OEM's were junk when our trucks left the assembly line. Most also agree that the Monroe Sensatrac or Reflex's offer the best ride and handling for the price. The Reflex is a bit stiffer than the Sensatrac, but it handles towing and offroading a little better, so it'll depend on what conditions you use the truck in as to which you want.

Rick, the original shocks are very soft and imo they are dangerous in emergency turn situations. New shocks will make a difference in how it rides and handles. Rodger should chime in and give you some top info on shock choices and other things. Hope this helps._Ron

Because it is an '01 4x4 I recommend Rancho RSX which are a beefier version of the Monroe Reflex. I also strongly recommend investing an additional $30 for the Front End Links from AutoZone; also crap from the factory (its a safety issue), and it only takes 30 min. to replace them. See the projects under Ride & Handling on how to replace the shocks if your not sure on how to do them.

WOW- YOU FOLKS STAY UP LATE ! THANX FOR ALL THE GREAT SUGGESTIONS! I JUST REPLACED THE FRONT LINKS W/A PAIR OF MOOG ($38@Advance),AND JUST ORDERED BOTH DANA UPPER BALL JOINTS-THAT'S WHAT GOT ME THINKING ABOUT THE SHOCKS WHILE I'M IN THERE.SURE IS GREAT TO HAVE SUCH GREAT RESOURCES! THANX AGAIN.

I ave the Rancho RSX's and find them to ve a very good shock. Twice a year, Rancho runs a buy 3 get one free offer. Seems to me that the next offer is due any time now.

My 2002 ST with 78000 rides like a new truck after replacing the stock shocks with Monroe Reflex. Whatever shocks you decide to get will make a dramatic difference. I just replaced mine last friday and it's like having a different truck. Took about 1 hr 40min.

Jason

ANY new shocks over the OEM Ford shocks will make a dramatic improvement. I replaced the shocks on my '03 when it had around 18,000 miles and I could not believe how much better the truck handled and rode.

For any 1st generation Trac owner- REPLACE THOSE SHOCKS! You will be so glad you did.

Latest posts