Shout out to Dillard000

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curtis james

4 wheel drive
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Changed my oil today and thanks again for the info on the fumoto oil plug, omg how simple and easy it has made draining with skid plate, now if i can just get filter off as easy i would not need gloves, not a drop until filter.

Changed my oil today and thanks again for the info on the fumoto oil plug, omg how simple and easy it has made draining with skid plate, now if i can just get filter off as easy i would not need gloves, not a drop until filter.
Welcome. One small solution\improvement at a time, makes life much better\easier over time.

I have the same plug. As far as the oil filter goes, I roll the sides of a Ziploc baggie down and line it with paper towels. Once I've loosened it with a wrench, I grab the filter with the baggie in my hand, and unscrew it. The bag captures the oil without getting any on my arm.

I have the same plug. As far as the oil filter goes, I roll the sides of a Ziploc baggie down and line it with paper towels. Once I've loosened it with a wrench, I grab the filter with the baggie in my hand, and unscrew it. The bag captures the oil without getting any on my arm.
I'll need to try that trick!

Would you post a link to the fumoto drain valve?
FYI, for the V6~4.0L~SOHC Engin, the OilDrain BungThreads are M14-1.5.
Fumoto makes+sells 5 different DrainValves that fit;
models F106N or F316L are most practical as they have a HoseBarb Outlet,
handy for attaching a short length of clear hose, so to drain directly into a recycle jug & also monitor flow.
3rdParty kits that include a hose are avalable from the "River" or the "Bay".
I've tried cheaper brands of OilDrainValves but they've either broken or leaked, so stick with Fumoto.
2001.Ford_Engi.Lube_DVlv_Fumoto.f106n.GIF

I roll the sides of a Ziploc baggie down and line it with paper towels. Once I've loosened it with a wrench, I grab the filter with the baggie in my hand, and unscrew it. The bag captures the oil without getting any on my arm.
been changing my oil for 40+ years... why am I only hearing about this now? :)

Fumoto is definitely optional, though when you've unintentionally stripped the bung threads, you may wish you had done this previously.

Can’t decide if cool and need it or like others say just use a glove….

Jep, i can tell you once you use it you will ask like win how did i not know about this, i have a skid plate that is not a simple remove and i do use a few rags cleaning up and now i put a hose that goes into drain hole on pan and did not get pan dirty. now i am wondering why i did not think of ziplock bag over filter.

I use EZ drain but same idea. They work mint.

I do love the idea of these… but gotta watch out for the crazies that like to mess with vehicles. In all fairness, I’ve only heard of that happening a couple times… and they both probably had it coming to them 🤣

FYI, for the V6~4.0L~SOHC Engin, the OilDrain BungThreads are M14-1.5.
Fumoto makes+sells 5 different DrainValves that fit;
models F106N or F316L are most practical as they have a HoseBarb Outlet,
handy for attaching a short length of clear hose, so to drain directly into a recycle jug & also monitor flow.
3rdParty kits that include a hose are avalable from the "River" or the "Bay".
I've tried cheaper brands of OilDrainValves but they've either broken or leaked, so stick with Fumoto.
View attachment 4400
Just wondering how far into the pan do the threads reach? Wouldn’t it leave some old oil in the bottom if it went significantly higher than the pan threads?

Can use a bench grinder to take some the drain valve threads down, if that's a concern. Just enough to get flush with bung depth, plus the thickness of the washer. A 10penny nail to measure the bung depth.

Last edited:
I always keep some cheap oil on hand and flush 1/2 quart before closing.

Latest posts