shocks

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What have you previously used?

Ranchos are good if your driving conditions consists of off terrain.

Popular ones monroe sense trac

I put KYBs on a previous Gen1 ST years ago. Gave car to my son in 2008; it's now got 100K on it and shocks are in great shape. KYB has a lifetime warranty to original buyer - I recall having to replace one of the fronts. I have 63K on my Gen2, and KYB will be my preference when the time comes to replace the struts - Gen2 has a different suspension design.

You say you are pulling the shocks apart. With the lift.

Do you mean pulling the top out of the mounts. If so replace the rubber bushings with poly.

If you mean destroying the shocks mechanicaly. Check the gorancho.com site. I think they have a chart or a way to contact tech. Get a longer shock with the tracs mounts.

You were not very clear about your problem. We are just guessing.

That doesn't make much sense. All I can figure is you have been given the wrong shocks. You don't need longer shocks for a 1.5" torsion twist, so that shouldn't be the issue. Confusing...

I have stock length Rancho RS5000s on mine with 1.5-1.75" torsion twist. Great shocks, IMO. I'm also a big fan of KYB and have those on my wife's Tahoe.

I've had the Bilstein HD shocks on my 2001 for 4 yrs with no problems. The shocks are firm and tuned for spirited driving. On my other vehicles the Bilsteins have lasted a long time and given me good service.

i am pulling the plunger out of the shock where it is in 2 pieces all the liquid is coming out. the plunger is coming out the top of the shock where it is welded at

Those cannot be the right shocks. You don't need lifted shocks for 1.5" TT, so that shouldn't be the reason. I can't think of any reason that would happen besides having the wrong shocks installed. Or I'm missing something, I dunno.

Btw, are you dropping your control arms to full droop off road, or is this from normal driving? Is your sway bar installed?

I'm still confused.

If you are pulling the rod out of the shock. You were either sold the wrong shock, too short. Or the shock itself failed. Shocks are designed with internal stops.

If the piston comes off and the rod comes out, failure. If the top of the shock allowed the piston and rod both to come out, fail. That I have never seen happen, though.

You need to see if your shock have a life warranty.

What brand and model shock are they.

Even though those are the bottom line monroe shocks. They have a lifetime warranty.

Do you have proof of purchase? Or Oreilys might have your purchase info on file.

Latest posts