Shocks

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaydawg74

Reaction score
Hello fellow sport trac-ers ! Long time member, first time poster.... I'm looking to upgrade my shocks from what i believe to be the stock shocks (i have an 01' ST). What would be the better shock to buy for my ST ? From what ive seen and read to far i should go with either the Rancho 5000's or the Monroe sensitrack. Is there any other option i should be looking at ? Also, where is a good place to buy online ? Thanks !!

I also have a 01 ST, at 150k changed to Sensa Trac, To soft, go with the Reflex or eq. :banana:

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Jason! There is no single ideal shock for everyone. Depends on your application and use.

Tim L states the Sensa-Tracs were too soft, whereas they were perfect for my setup.

I tested the Monroe Reflex shock, and found them too firm to my liking. (I'm dropped 3 inches)

Would be beneficial to mention what ride characteristics are important to you.

Amazon has good pricing and free shipping on most orders over $25. (They are heavy)

Monroe.com also has a mail in rebate through May 31. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I put Reflex's on mine and fell in love with the trac all over again:love:

I didn't find that it made the truck ride any firmer, but hitting bumps you can tell it is firmer. But the rock and roll that these trucks are famous for is almost gone! Mine's an 04, regular ride height.

I put Bilsteins on my ST at about 50K miles. It now has 95K miles on it. The ride improved noticeably with the new shocks and hasn't changed since. I put new Michelin LTX tires on at 55K miles and they've worn very well. Noticeably quieter than Goodyear Wranglers. The shock/tire combo has been great. I'll replace the Michelins with new Micnelins when needed.

I just recently got Monroe Sensa Tracs put on my '02 ST. I feel like I have a brand new ride. The bumps and bridges are alot easier to go over now. I thought the factory shocks were not to bad until I reached 50k miles and the ride got too rough. The Sensa Tracs fit me perfectly. I mainly ride on pavement and sometimes gravel, but do occasionally venture off road down field rows and such, nothing to wild. I do not haul anything in the back except beagles during rabbit hunting season in my ST. I have only rode about 100 miles on these new shocks and they are a dream.

I suggest either the Monroe Reflex or the Rancho RSX all around with Roadmaster Active Suspension or some other addition to the leaf springs. Also, replace the front end links with the ones from AutoZone as they are the MOOG Problem Solver end links in a AutoZone box, and they will run you less than $30.

I put Sensa Tracs on my old '05 and thought they were fine. My recommendation would be Sensa Tracs if you're mostly on-road and Reflexes if you go off-road or frequently tow or haul heavy loads.

Does anyone find that the shocks on the STs get a little "long in the tooth" around 50,000 miles ? My 04 had it...so I sold it for a low mile 05. Now the 05 feels a little "old" and rides rough (if you know what I mean) .

Any suggestions on how to bring back that "loving feeling" ? All highway driving.

I've read the posts and the suggestion are for three different brands of shocks. Nothing OUTSTANDING or multiple posts for the same brand. All suggestions are varying.

Is it really that simple to just replace the shocks AND Struts to get a new ride ?

Appreciate any assistance.

Latest posts