Shocking shocks

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The Ford garage recommended that I replace my rear shocks saying they were very rusty and they are the OEM from 2005. Well I've never paid anybody to replace something simple as shocks so I order a pair of KYB gas adjustable shocks. I received them last Friday and after work I climbed under the ST only to find what was going to be a very difficult job. The top mounts are almost impossible to see let alone get a wrench on. Well long story short it ended up taking almost 2 hours and almost every tool in the box to get these F#%King things off and in the process I found the drivers side leaf spring shackle is badly rusted and cracked (something the Ford garage neglected to tell me) So I ordered a pair and that's the next job on my list.

Learned from EddieS'04 on here long ago a 13mm flex head ratchet wrench makes rear shock replacement MUCH easier. Also lower the spare and loosen the EVAP canister.

This 7 piece metric set goes on sale for less than $40 several times a year. Watch Sears, NAPA, or any GearWrench dealer for specials.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks but I hope I never have to do that job again I have all of those tools you mentioned and I removed the spare as well I didn't think to loosen the Evaporator canister though. Thanks

Frank, I did my shocks all the way around almost 3 years ago now, they were original from factory.. Front ones were easy -- only the driver's side rear gave me an issue, but still about the same time to get them all done. Helped that I was a little thinner then lol

Latest posts