Shift-Knob Button

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Strk

Reaction score
Vehicle: 2007 Explorer Sport Trac V8 Limited (no warranty or extended warranty remaining)

Problem: The shift-knob button appears to be loose, or doesn't have the ability to be depressed completely to allow for a smooth shift between gears. It hasn't locked up, but I am very conscious of how much pressure I exert on the button to make sure it shifts.

I have heard there is a TBS solution (doesn't apply to me with no warranty), I have also seen a YouTube video that removes a black piece within the shifter mechanism (when you depress the brakes, its clicks), but I am not sure this is the root cause of the issue.

Anyone experience such problems, and have a DIY solution? or do I have to bring it in to the mechanic?

Thanks.

From what I've read on some other Explorer forums, it could be the brake-shift interlock. This is a safety mechanism that prevents shifting out of Park unless the brake pedal is depressed. Sounds like something you might want to take in to a mechanic to check, but if your shifter button is loose then hopefully its something simple with the button itself.

The interesting note I discovered is that under the front cup-holder rubber inserts is an access cover for the shifter mechanism. My 2007 owner's manual (p. 246) says that if the interlock malfunctions and you can't shift out of Park, you can pry open this cover with a screwdriver and manually push the interlock switch so you can drive to a garage for service...

shawn.