Shaking on highway

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew Lonker

Reaction score
My 01 sport trac shakes going down the highway at speeds around 60+. I have had the tires balanced, aligned, and replaced the front and rear shock. The tires dont have uneven tread and and my mechanic said the rest of my suspension looks good. I have no idea what is wrong its really annoying me. Could it be a drive shaft issue? 81,000 miles on the sport trac.

yes it could be the u joints on the drive shaft. but also if its a 4x4 the transfer case could cause vibration issues at high speeds

Second on what roamer said. My 04 vibrated badly between 55-80 and it quit after i took out the front driveshaft a few years ago. Sucks not to have 4wd but better than numb hands from the steering wheel.

I have seen this caused on some vehicles by a stuck brake caliper. It heats and warps the rotor but you won't feel it until you are going faster. The brakes dragging on the warped rotor causes a vibration.

I first noticed my truck shaking like a beast on the highway this Spring. It always used to shake around 120km/h but now as soon as I hit 100km/h it really gets going.

My questions is: if the front driveshaft is causing this issue, it is harmful to keep running it on the highway? I've been avoiding it at all costs, but had to take the ST to an out of town wedding last weekend.

Could uneven tire wear cause this shaking?

It makes me nervous to drive the truck on the highway now and I feel like parts are going to start falling off while I'm driving at 100km/h +

Latest posts