Shakes 50-55

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Cogar

Reaction score
I posted before, but I figured I would refresh the post. It's slightly different. I'm still trying to get rid of my vibrations. It feels like it's in the driveshaft rear (rear of the rear driveshaft) I drove it up to 50-55 and I got harsh vibrations in the rear.I drove back up to 60 and I put it in neutral and coasted. The vibrations were just the same. I balanced my tires, got an alignment, and put on new u joints. What's next? Thanks again for the help guys.

Try swapping the rear tires to the front and see if the vibration moves to the front. If it does, it would be a tire or wheel issue. Possibly you have a tire that is worn out-of-round.

If the vibration does not move to the front, then it is probably not a tire/wheel issue. and you may have other issues like a driveshaft out of balance or bent, or even a bent axle??

...Rich

You would be surprised at the number of idiots out there that can't perform a simple task such as balancing a tire...I still think you have a tire balance issue

I agree with the tire issue. Recheck them. Have them to look for tread run out or a bulging steel belt.

Also if the tires have 2ounces or more of weights. Spin them 180 on the rims and re-balance.

Unfortunately, as l1tech said, there are a lot of idiots who cannot properly balance tires. They don't look for tire problems balancing...If he machine says the tires are balance, that's good enough for them.

As I previously said, it is possible for and idiot to balance tires that are out of round and they wil balance, but they will cause the vehicle to bounce and vibrate when driven. I used to have that problem with and old Buick Regal I had.

Also, what Eddie said is also very true. When you see a lot of balancing weight in on tire it is often caused by the heaviest part of the tire being mounted on the heaviest side of the wheel. That makes it harder to balance and those idiots will just stick more weights on. They often will not take the time to break the bead, shift the tire 180 degrees, reinflate and then rebalance the tire. I think this a more common problem with alloy wheels when they use the clip-on wheel weights. Alloy wheels don't have the deep lip on the edge of the rim to hold the weights and too much weight in one location can cause centrifical force to throw off the wheel weigts at speed.

By all means, go to another shop and explain your problem and what you have had done. They will probably want to rebalance your tires, which is fine, but also have check to insure that you do not have defective tires, or bent rims.

In essence, don't tell them what to do..ie: Balance my tires, etc. Tell them them you have a vibration problem and what you have done so far to correct the problem, but insist that they diagnose the vibration problem and you want the problem fixed. They should not to just assume anything. You may have to pay extra for the diagnostic services, but If they say it's a wheel balace problem, tell them that if that does not solve the problem, then you will not pay for an unneeded wheel balancing. A good reputable shop will not balk at that. You should only have to pay for the correct diagnosis and repair of that problem and not for them to randomly throw parts at the probem.

I personally think you have a bad balance job. That could be caused by the heaviest part of the tire mounted on the same side as the heaviest part of the wheel, or it could be caused by one or more defective tires/wheels. But nobody here can diagnose your problem with 100% accuracy without seeing and testing the vehicle. They are all just possibilities, and might be a common problem it could just be a lucky guess. Your vehicle may have a different issue and your discription may be misleading. That's why properly diagnosing the problem is the first step and overall, the cheapest path to getting the problem resolved and not speding money chasing ghosts.

If you cannot diagnose these problems yourself, you a better off just going to a competent shop, and explaining the problem in detail, and pay them to diagnose and repair the problem. In the long run it is often cheaper.

...Rich

could be the dreaded ST shock and tire cupping issue... Rotate the tires as mentioned above.. The shocks could loose control at that speed only, as harmonics in the suspension at that speed start to compond themselves... I had this on my 2002, and went away with new tires, prevented from recurring with new shocks... HTH

if you have a 4:10 rear, the early rears had issues with bent axles and bad internal components, But i would rotate the tires if you can or re balance them again....

I USE special coated aluminum rim weights so it can be done on a high speed machine....and weights can be placed on the Outside and INside..

Todd Z

Well, i rotated them myself last night to see if it would make a difference. It seems like it did change a little. Also, around 75mph the vibrations sound intermediate. Almost like going over those vibrating things on the side of the highways. But it lighter and on and off. I might have to call it quits and take it to the shop. i cant take it much longer.:cry:

Latest posts