Shackle Lift / No Torsion Twist

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Sniezek

Reaction score
I want to lift my ST. So I like the shackle lift to lift the back. But the torsion twist I do not like idea. So is a way that I can lift the front with out do the torsion twist? I want to do 2" lift.

Limited Red

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the shackle lift and didn't do the Twist for several months. I liked the raked look. The ST drove normal. When I did the Twist I only raised her about an inch.:)

Other than a bodylift, there is no way to lift the front 2" other than lift spindles IF you have a 2wd.

I did a TT on my Sport Trac plus the Ranger I had before, no problems.

I did my shackles first and drove it around that way for a week... it just felt weird! I did a TT and there have been no problemos. why are you against the TT idea?

for you guys that did the shackles only

did you check fuel mileage in between?

reason i ask is, i was told this was the reason

ford raised the rears of their new trucks higher

than the front.

the rake causes the air to flow better over the body

giving better mileage.

i know dodge and chevy do this also but it isnt as

pronounced as it is with the fords and i was thinking of

going a couple of tanks before doing the TT on mine after

i install the shackles next month.

I do not what to mass with torsion becouse i do not what to mass something up on the front end. I have a 4X4. So there a way that I can make front end 2" with out doing the torsion twist.

Limited Red

Uh, the rake is there so the truck doesn't bottom out when loaded.

Dingo

where did you hear this? the info i had came out of one of the 4x4 magazines and if

i remember right it was "trucking magazine" not 100% sure because my neighbor

gave me a whole stack of magazines about 2.5 years ago and the article i read

regarding rake and fuel mileage was in one of them.

of course magazines have been wrong before.

I know you are opposed to the TT idea... but u don't have any other options. And turning your torsion bars really isn't hard (takes 20 mins tops). I also have a 4x4 with a TT and I went up 1.5 inches and it did the trick nicelly. It was one of the first hands on things I ever did with my Trac. No problems with it at all. The only thing I can complain about is now I dont wanta stop messing around with other stuff! :wub:

James....

To answer your question. No. You have to do the TT or you will not get lift out of the front end. You could always do the Super Lift, but I am sure there are better things to spend a thousand or more dollars on.

Tom

James I didn't make the shackles. I purchased them off of ebay for about 50 bucks shipped to me. I installed them myself via the TT/Shackle project one of the other members around here did. Took only 30-40mins with the correct tools. I drove around with that extra rake for a week before i decided there was no way i could continue to do so ~ It just felt like i was sliding down a hill constantly... So one Sat. morning I woke up looked at the project... lifted the trac off the ground... twisted the nuts till they maxed out then loosened em 2 turns and Tada.. higher/more aggressive look! Hope this helps.

Here is the exact guy I bought the shackles from: (he is kinda slow shipping though!)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-5-LIFT-HEAVY-DUTY-FORD-EXPLORER-SHACKLES-1991-AND-UP_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33585QQihZ017QQitemZ270131475448QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Woppy

Thank you for the link. I am thinking for do the tt/Shackle Lift. I am only doing 1" in the front end. So that I will fill like I did not mass some thing up.

Limited Red

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the only way you could really mess anything up is if you cranked your trac up higher than 2 inches... But even when I had my turned all the way I wasn't that high up (I think I was at max 1.5inches...). Just try to keep level ~ best way to do that is crank both nuts the exact amount of rotations each. Good luck

Latest posts