Serpentine belt

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benny Kearns 2

Reaction score
Hello all,

How often should one replace the serpentine belt? Has anyone here ever attempted this successfully? If so, how would your rate the task as far as difficulty?

regards,

Benny

I do every 60K

As for changing it...... there is a special way it routs... the diagram is on the rad support.....

You need a long 3/8 ratchet or the serp belt tool..... thats all the st needs...

Remove the upper air intake tube and you can change it.....

IF you have never done one, it can be a pain as the fan and stuff is in the way and it routs around that stuff.......

Honestly a shop can have it done in 5 min.....

Todd Z

How many miles are on your truck? When was the last time the tensioner and the idler were changed? If you do not know? Do all three at the same time total cost for all three parts is about $100 and is good insurance if last change mileage is unknown. I had a idler pulley go out one time on the D.C. beltway at rush hour and the aggravation and $ far out weight the cost to replace these inexpensive parts! Took me about 30 minutes to do all three last month on my 04. Good Luck.

"You need a long 3/8 ratchet or the serp belt tool"

I made the mistake of using a 3/8 ratchet that was not long, just one of standard length. I thought I'd die pulling on that wrench trying to get the belt back on.

noheat said:
I made the mistake of using a 3/8 ratchet that was not long, just one of standard length. I thought I'd die pulling on that wrench trying to get the belt back on

Yea, I did the same thing, except just as I was trying to hold on for all my might, this little neighbor kid comes up

"Hey! What are you doing?"

The replacement time just doubled.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree about replacing the idler and tensioner pulley. You will need to do so eventually, since the belt is out of the way, now is the time....

I changed my original 2003 belt with ~100,000 miles on it a few months ago.

At the same time changed the idler and tensioner pulley per others advice.

Used the Goodyear 4060860 Gatorback belt and dayco pulleys.

To get the job done I used a Gear Wrench 3680 Serpentine Belt Tool. Took me about 30 minutes to change all the parts (first time changing a serp belt). With the tool it was pretty easy.

I keep my old belt in the truck in case anything ever happens I have a spare.

I change them around 100k on our cars. Never had one break before then. Any brand is fine but Gatorbacks are the shiznit. My mechanic, an exceptionally serious dude who is so good and knows so much that it's scary, swears by them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I worked at Dayco during college. We used to use those serpentine belts for rigging very heavy production equipment. Those belts are incredibly strong- they are made with kevlar string wrapped around inside, and that kevlar is some impressive stuff!

Latest posts