Serius vs XM

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
XM is easier to spell. lol

Actually it depends on the type of music you like. Other than that they are the same, and I think they are now or will be owned by the same company.

Last I read, they were waiting on gov approval for the merger and were going to be under the Sirius brand name. I've got Sirius and haven't had any problems with it. Never listened to XM, so can't help on the difference in them...

A lot of it depends on what you like, Sirius has football and basketball, XM has baseball and golf. Sirius has more satellites than XM so you might get a better signal than XM, but XM has a lot of repeaters dotted around. But it may all become a moot point if the proposed merger goes through. In the mean time this site has a lot of good info.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only real difference is that Siruis has Stern and does NOT have baseball... It does have pretty much all the other sports though.

Sooo, you just need to decide which of these is important to you..

You have a monthly payment for something you only listen to when you are in the car.

A real negative, IMO.

HD Radio. That is where it is at.

Tom

To me Sirius has better plans and better music Chanel's.

XM is more sports orientated.

S has Stern XM has O&A

The merger is in the works but too many people are fighting it in congress....

Yes HD radio is free but requires a new radio, and that cant be taken from car to car, in the house, on the job site ECT,

I can leave the sat radio on in my truck and listen all day in the job trailer, and so can any one around, Same goes for the house.

I also have the house kit, so i can listen all day there too..

Todd Z

Like the others have said it really depends on what you want to listen to. I have Sirius since Stern joined and would definitely recommend it. One benefit to Sirius is that ALL of their music channels are commercial free, unlike XM. Satellite is uncensored too. Also, Sirius will be doing the taking over if the Sirius/XM merger ever gets government approval and happens.

You can listen to Sirius and XM in the car, at home through a home kit, and online which means you can listen to it basically anywhere. They also both have the portable which now lets you listen live anywhere you go.

Well worth the subscription price. I can't stand listening to terrestrial radio anymore. They may be offering HD but it will still have commercials and still be the same garbage they are playing now. HD radio is just a lame attempt to compete with the satellite companies.

George

Last edited by a moderator:
You have a monthly payment for something you only listen to when you are in the car.

A real negative, IMO.

Not necessarily true. I have a Pioneer INNO, a portable XM receiver. It comes with a home dock, and I also got a car dock with it for free from a deal from Best Buy. It's one of the smallest, most portable XM receivers on the market and I can listen to it anywhere (it works like any portable music player when out of a dock). I use in in the ST a lot but I also listen to it at work with headphones and on my home stereo system.

I have a satellite and internet bill that I can only use when I'm at home. I also have an the upgraded internet service, which i run off a laptop in the bar that runs speakers to the whole house and living room. So yeah, I pay $13 a month for music I listen to 2-3 hours a day with no commercials and good quality.

I've had XM for a while. I like the music selections better plus you have Jim Quinn on channel 158 in the morning, on the other hand last year NASCAR moved from XM to Sirius which was the main reason I got XM. Sirius has the NFL, XM has baseball which since I live in Pittsburgh does not matter to me.

i love my XM radio...will never go back to regular radio...i have a home (dorm room for me:D) as well that i listen to a lot...sirius or XM is worth every penny in my opinion.

They may be offering HD but it will still have commercials and still be the same garbage they are playing now.

havent heard one commercial on HD Radio...yet. Not even the same programming. If it was the same programming, there would be no need to switch the HD Radio.

I really like our HD Radio, so much that the car will be getting an HD Radio this spring when I start driving it.

Tom

i have both xm & sirius.

imo, the sirius music is better than the xm, but xm has opie & anthony :D

i pay $9.00 a month for sirius and $6.50 per month for xm. the best value for $15.50 per month for all the availability.

no more regular radio for me !

Are XM and sirius doing the family plan together now?

That would be lovely. I have 2 on Sirius and 2 on XM.

I have XM. Not that I've ever even bothered to check it out, but XM carries the IRL, along with a bunch of other sports channels I could care less about. Now that the IRL actually means something, I might have to check out the IRL channel someday... I think I've listened to MAYBE 10 channels since I installed it in all 3 of my vehicles. I listen to music when I drive. I'm not one of those who listens to talk radio or sports when I'm driving... too distracting!

HD Radio has one problem that will never be solved. You can't listen to it on a long trip, because it will fade out of range. Satellite radio will work throughout the lower 48 states.

Sirius has more content and variety while XM is close and a little cheaper.

My new Mercedes has Sirius, so I didn't really have a choice, but so far I like it. Monthly cost for what I get is about $13 per month, but I'm getting the first 6 months for free so I have not received any bill yet and probably won't for about 5 more months

...Rich

Latest posts