selling XCal2 & have some questions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael b

Reaction score
I replaced my engine with a non-computer V8 & cant use my Xcal & have a few questions before I advertise it for sale. First when I purchased my tuner I received the tuner, code booklet & USB cable.The software for customizing it etc. was E-Mailed to me. Can I forward the software to the new buyer or will they need to purchase it or something? My tuner is for computer code TTY2 will it work with any TTY2 right out of the box? What does it cost to program it for other computers?

I'm hoping maybe someone who deals in these can pass the info along. I want to make sure I know what I'm doing when I sell this to another owner.

BTW, wheather bought used or bought new from one of our sponsers I would highly reccomend installing the SCT XCal2.It was one of the 2 best performance mods I did to my 4.0 (the other being swapping gears) It took away the 3k rev limiter, really improved the feel of the shifts & added some performance that you could actually feel. soooo easy to use too!

Did you swap your engine back to stock before you pulled it out? If not the tuner will be locked.

Ditto what olaf said. And Ditto to Tonka on it being a great mod.

I was told only sct could unlock it if it hasn't been returned back to stock and the cost was near what a new unit would cost.

If it has been returned to stock it's usually sent to a tuner to tune for the new truck. I'm not sure if having the same 4 digit code will prevent that.

The tuner will not work as is on another vehicle unless you flashed your truck back to stock. The tuner becomes Vin Number locked...

You might be able to hook up the computer back in your truck, OR in another truck and then flash it back to stock first.....

most subscriptions are around $100.00 for new tunes.

Todd Z

What if the tuner is shipped with the ECU.

Here is a question...Will the computer from one vehicle and catch code work on another vehicle with a different catch code?

Tom

The last computer I bought for a ford did not need to re programmed unless you wanted all the numbers to match in the computers memory. Some digital cars require a program of the Vin and stuff for mileage and theft and other things..

i believe on the ST some one could just buy his computer and Xcal and they don't even need a reprogram......

I think the computer code does know 2wd and 4wd, auto or stick, so It would have to be a truck with the same options....

Hell I would try the swap in my truck.... Whats the worst... IT will not start...

Todd Z

if Todd Z is willing to return the tuner back to stock by using your computer, that looks like the way to go. It will have a resale value with that done. i sent the question to my tuner about the same 4 digit question, here is the response i recieved:

That's a "VIN Lock", $25 to reset, same day turn around.

If it is a used XCal2 to another vehicle (differnt 4 digit code), that is a retune, $25 to unlock, $25 per tune.

If the box was not returned to stock (Locked), it is $200. The box has to be shipped from a dealer with an RMA number to SCT for unlocking.

Fred

Latest posts