Seeking input on 2nd gen

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaninVa

Reaction score
I have an '01 ST. Am thinking of getting a 2nd gen. model. Are there any models or years to avoid? Is having the fuel filler on the "wrong" side a problem? Any other info. would be appreciated.

Some '07 gen2s' did not have the sliding back glass. Some here have reported that the '09 and '10 gen2, seems more solid than the '07 and '08...

Me personally, I'm staying with my '03 ST and am selling my Show Truck to buy my wife a 1st Gen ST because I like them so much. Gen 2's are too "car like" to me, JMO.

:driving::haveabeer::supercool:

When the 07's came out I was going to trade my 03 in but having the filler cap on the wrong side was a deal buster. I still have my 03 and couldn't be happier.

Is having the fuel filler on the "wrong" side a problem?

having the filler cap on the wrong side was a deal buster.

Didn't know the location of a fuel cap was on the "wrong" side or a "deal buster". If you guys were around back in the "50's" what would you have thought with fuel caps located behind the license plate or built into the tail light.

The Gen 2 ST is an excellent truck with a much better ride and a choice of engines. The only drawback is for those that like to off-road the truck can not be lifted.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had both, an '05 and now an '08.

The only Gen 2 I would avoid would be an early '07 if you want a sliding rear window.

Ride and handling on a Gen 2 is so vastly superior that it isn't funny. So all that discussion about needing new shocks and swaybars like Gen 1 you can forget about.

I love steering wheel controls for the radio and the Aux input jack in the console.

True, you can't lift it and it's not as off-roady as a Gen 1. Also there is no limited-slip available and you have traction and stability control instead, which I don't care for. I am told you can get a 2004 Explorer rear limited-slip and install it, which I may do if I buy mine when it goes off lease ('cause like, I can't get a new one). I pretty much don't have the time or inclination to off-road anymore anyway, but if you need a Trac-type rig for towing or getting around in bad weather like I do, it's ideal.

You can get a Gen 2 fuel tank skidplate from Ford because it was a fleet option.

Storage compartments in the bed floor are sweet.

I don't care what side the fuel filler is on.

For whatever reason, the bed is slicker and marks easier than a Gen 1. I finally broke down and got a bed mat this year.

Mine came with 245/65-17 Goodyear all-seasons that were worthless in snow. When they wore out I got Firestone Destination A/T's in the same size. It's kind of an oddball size but a number of tires are made in 245/70-17 that would be a smidge taller and fill the fenders more. You will find Gen 2's with 16", 17", or 18" rims, depending. Adrenalins might have 20's I think.

I think cloth seats only came in tan and they will get dirty just looking at them. I put flannel seat covers on mine.

I've rocked mine straight through from Pittsburgh to Ft. Myers, FL twice, loaded with people, luggage, camping crap, and golf clubs on the roof rack and it doesn't break a sweat.

My 2008 is my first Sport Trac and I can't say anything bad about it. It is a fully loaded limited edtion and is extremely comfortable(I'm 6'2" tall). Only a couple small things have gone wrong, the headlight switch lost its lumination of the symbols, replaced under warranty. Rear calipers were rattling, a TSB and it was fixed N/C. At 47K miles, the leather seat bottom of the drivers chair began to lose its dye job, Ford is buying it and I have to pay the labor. So, based on my experience, its a really nice truck, dependable and very little on the maintainence/repair side of it. Bob :banana::banana:

My early '07 ST XLT has been a nice vehicle. Like Bob, it's my 1st ST and my 1st new FORD. I don't have the power rear window which kinda bothered me but I never had a Sport Tac before so i really don't know what I am missing. The motor can't go bad on my rear window..LOL! I'm irratated by the passenger side gas filler but it's really no biggie. I had the tranny bump initially but the last TSB took care of it! The driver seat lumbar broke and a ball joint went bad a low miles but FORD fixed them. That's the con's...:soap:

:driving:pros...nice looking, good sized truck that fit's me well (6' 2" also). Goes like heck through the snow and is very funn to drive. I have the 4.6 V-8 and, although it's a bit more sluggish than I thought it would be, it has pretty good acelleration(of course it's a 2 ton truck). The gas mileage around town is fairly good but on the highway, it's awesome. It has gone up over time as the engine was broke in. The last trip, I filled up in Buffalo and drove all the way home and got exactly 24.0 MPG average! Pretty awesome for the size of the truck.

:banghead:The one thing I don't like is that the tranny doesn't have a dip stick that can be checked from the engine compartment. I wisk some one made a kit to add this to the truck.

All & all, it's a great vehicle and I'm glad I bought it. FORD's decision to end the current type Sport trac and eventually make the new Explorer a unibody is a poor choice IMO....oh well.

If you a Gen 2, get the V-8 and a Zabteck modded throttle body!

'07 ST:banana:

Last edited by a moderator: