SEC Championship

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gooooo Dawgs!

SEC Championship = True National Championship

Yep, Georgia blew it in the last 15 seconds of the game, and missed the opportunity to take two or three shots at the endzone from the 8 yard line! :smack:

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
As a Georgia alum, I take these losses personally. We're constantly in the big games, we just don't win them when it counts. I'm sick of people telling me how proud they are of the team this year. This sentiment is of course coming from self-proclaimed "biggest fans," and not people with actual ties to the university.

Mediocrity is not ok with me. A single National Championship from over 30 years ago is not something to rest on. It's getting old to defend an "almost there" team year after year. I think these sentiments are shared among us "real" Dawgs. Just as those who didn't accept mediocrity in their education and actually attend(ed) Georgia, real Dawgs do not accept this mediocrity in the national display of the university.

Now don't get me wrong, these universities are not about football and it certainly is not the most important things happening at these schools. But, the football programs are the greatest advertisement and most publicly visible aspect of the schools, therefore I feel like it is a public representation of the university. To those who never attended the university, this is something they'll never understand.

Equally annoying are the 'Bama fans around here with some sense of accomplishment because they bought a T-shirt and watch their games most Saturdays. These people have never stepped foot in Tuscaloosa yet they feel it acceptable to talk down to me about the school I attended because a school they could never have been accepted to outperformed my alma mater on a football field.

Sorry for the rant. Told you I take it personally.:soap:

Having been born and raised in Ohio, I am a big Ohio State Buckeye fan. As one of only a few undefeated teams they should be ranked above both Alabama and Georgia, but because of the bowl game ban, they cannot play for a national chapionship, but they still should be ranked...with a footnote. They were ranked as 4th by the CBS poll and the AP Poll but once the BCS started it rankings Ohio State has been dropped for all but the CBS Poll as of last week.

They had some ugly wins, as did other teams ranked higher....but they still played and won even thought they new they would not be eligible for a bowl game or even the Big Ten Championship. I think that says a lot for Coach Meyer and the Ohio State players.

The NCAA punished Ohio State for several players who sold some of the awards they received from Ohio State, and Coach Tressel found out about it and tried to cover it up. I think the players and the coach should have been punished, but the University or the other players did nothing wrong, yet they were all punished.

...Rich

I agree with all that Richard L said about OSU, plus one thing more. Meyer should be up for coach of the year. No one outside the locker room believed they could go undefeated, but Meyer made the players believe it. I'm not a fan of Ohio State or Urban Meyer, but I recognize that what they've done is impressive.

Hugh, if UGA never settles for being second fiddle, why do they keep using the Packers logo on their helmets, rather than developing their own?

:banana:

Just yankin your chain. From all I hear, it's a great school, just as you say.

A red and black G looks a lot better than green and yellow. Green Bay should just turn over the rights.:grin:

Vanderbilt would go undefeated in the Big X. Meyer has accomplished nothing.:argue::bwahaha:

Hugh,

Vanderbuilt lost to Northwestern, the only Big Ten opponent they played, so how do you figure they would have gone undefeated in the Big Ten?? If they can't beat Northwestern, they are sure as hell not going to beat Ohio State, Michigan, Illinois or Michigan State...all in one season...probably not even in 10 seasons.

Vanderbuilt had a good record of 8-4 for playing in the SEC, but in the SEC they lost every game they played against ranked opponents. If Ohio State had not been banned from playing in any post season bowl games, it would be Ohio State playing against Notre Dame in the BCS chanpionship game, and Alabama would be out of the picture.

:kiss_it::cheeky::bwahaha:

...Rich

Check OSU's bowl record against SEC schools.

2012 loss to Florida

2008 loss to LSU

2007 loss to Florida

2002 loss to South Carolina

2001 loss to South Carolina

1996 loss to Tennessee

1995 loss to Alabama

1993 loss to Georgia

1990 loss to Auburn

1978 loss to Alabama

Even if you grant them the 2011 vacated win over Arkansas, that's still only a 10% win percentage against the SEC. That win doesn't exist, though. We're still at 0%.:grin:

They have NEVER beat an SEC team in a bowl. What you say about that scenario is true and unfortunately the BCS would have given us another championship between two subpar teams because the SEC beat each other up again. As much as I hate Alabama, Notre Dame doesn't stand a chance.

The real NC happened last week. Notre Dame is exhibition for 'Bama. The SEC is just on another level somewhere between D1 NCAA and the NFL. They run real offenses and require real defense. When Michigan, Illinois and Michigan State are the incredible gauntlet you have to point to, I can only laugh. Sorry.

Hugh,

Why are you bringing up Ohio's bowl record?? All of the years you mentioned are different teams, differentt times, different players, different coaches. It's like comparing apples to oranges

All of my comments are based on this season. It's all about this 2012 season, Ohio State is undefeated, and every team in the SEC has at least one loss, even Alabama lost to unranked Texas A&M.

Auburn won the national championship a few years ago, and this year they only won 3 games. So you cannot compare different teams in different years. I's not very often that a team will go undefeated for the entire season in any conference, but Ohio State did it this year.

So don't tell me about teams and bowl records of years ago...it has nothing to do with this season's record. You are just throwing out a smoke screen to hide the stupid statement you made. Either you did not know that Northwestern was in the Big Ten, and/or that Vandy had already lost to them this season. Now you are just trying to use Ohio State's bowl record to cover up your statement by switching the subject to bowl games of years long gone by

BTW, you still have not answered my original question:

"How can you justify your claim that Vanderbuilt would be undefeated this season if they were in the Big Ten, when they already lost to Northwestern, the only Big Ten team they played this year...and Northwestern is an un-ranked middle of the road team this year?"

Sounds like you shot off your mouth before you engaged your brain. :smack:

...Rich

Latest posts