Seattle Area Outage - Unions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure, twist my words and take a stab at the mentally challenged in one step. Nice form, Tom!

I have a sister that is severely retarded. She lives in a home with other people that is the same way. What is wrong with my comment? I guess it could be offensive to those that are retarded.

Kinda like calling a murderer an animal. I feel that is offensive to an animal. Animals don't act like murders do.

I am SUCH a fan of individual responsibility that I think that when a tragedy strikes you can usually find SEVERAL individuals to share in the blame.

With all the individual responsibility you believe in, why do you blame others when it was the individual was the one that lit the grill in the house anyways?

Maybe the individual is to blame and not those that were not given enough supplies to complete the job.

Tom

Caymen,

I don't have anyone that is mentally retarded in my family, but I am still pretty sure those with that condition don't like to be called "retards", and that they and their family are offended when that word is used to put down others.

Also, Caymen says:
With all the individual responsibility you believe in, why do you blame others when it was the individual was the one that lit the grill in the house anyways?

Again, you twist my words. You seem to inply that I ONLY blame others. I don't. But others SHARE in the blame.

It's interesting to hear that you don't think that those that have a responsibility to protect and serve should assume some blame when thier actions or inactions create a condition in which others can be hurt. That is EXACTLY what you are saying, isn't it?

I hope a corrupt or inept parole board never turns a rapist or murder loose and that person hurts or kills someone you love. Your only recourse would be against the murder, not those that are to protect us from the murders. In other words, given your convictions, I am sure you wouldn't sue the parole board. If put in that situation, you would be a hypocrit to even speak out against the parole board...as they are not to blame, not even partly, right?

There are bad, and stupid people out there. Our systems and people in service are their to protect us from them and them from themselves. It's all real easy to say "well they got what they deserved those stupid people", until it hits close to home, then we see what we are really made of.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Will or should the unions get blame? At this point it pointless to argue about since we all know that they won't.

However....

The Democrats have (2) huge groups that they receive money and support from:

-Unions

-Trial Lawyers

I would love to see the two sides be pitched against each other on this one. But they won't. The politicians in their pockets (1) won't let it happen and (2) would urge both sides to drop it.

Interesting, eh? But if the negligence was done by GM or Ford or Sonic or Pizza Hut, it would be a drastically different story.

if you disagree with the principle of the last paragraph then we are done here because you have such a warped sense of responsibility and protecting people that the debate need not continue.

Wow, it sounds like we have an internet superstar know-it-all here!

I'm done with this one.

There is none so blind as he who will not see....

The Republicans have (2) huge groups that they receive money and support from:

-Big Corporations

-Rich People from those corporations

If the "damage" was caused by the oil industry or big corporations, you would never hear anything about it.

So what is your point?

Tom

ALL POLITICIANS accept money from the SAME groups. And add to it the rich unions who bribe mostly democrats. One day you'll learn that the majority of both parties are full of corrupt people.

You really think those that get into politics do it because they want to help someone? I know I don't. It is all about the money!

Tom

Gavin says:
Wow, it sounds like we have an internet superstar know-it-all here!

Nope, not a know-it-all. There should be nothing wrong with nor should anyone be called a "know-it-all" when simply stating a generality that is clearly, widely accepted in principle.

Clearly I posited something you couldn't disagree with! What I posited was:

When people shirk these duties people can die. If the duty wasn't shirked, less people would die. Those are the facts of people in jobs with a high degree of responsibility and safeguarding others. Don't like that responsibility, then don't assume the jobs! But if negligence of duty causes loss of life, even by people doing stupid things, then you are partly to blame.

Like I said, you couldn’t disagree with it. Instead the quick insult jab and an exit. Nice form!

I was speaking in generalities, and clearly the logical assertions I was making couldn't be disputed...as after several days NO ONE has disputed them.

I say these general principles couldn't be disputed, at least until they were held up against union members, then the bias on this board by some has made common sense, reason, and right and wrong FLY OUT THE WINDOW.

That's the nice thing about speaking in generalities and in general principles. People typically agree at that level. But then, when these same principles are held up to them or there's we find there are two different sets of rules.

We see where the blindness and bias is.

TJR

Sorry, my friend, but I think the insults and jabs were started by you.

I can't believe I have to explain it to you, Gavin, but I will try.

Are you saying that I have a disability here? :huh:

So, common sense and reason would dictate

Oh, I have no common sense and reason. :angry:

because you have such a warped sense of responsibility and protecting people that the debate need not continue

And a "warped sense of responsibilty..." :angry:

I doubt you will agree, but it can't really be argued

Why can't it be argued? Says who? What makes your words absolutely correct and mine absolutely wrong?

Your reasoning and arguments here are the reason why our legal system is so screwed up, and our society is so lacking in personal responsibility. This kind of thinking is the thinking that gives a clumsy lady millions of dollars for having a little McDonald's coffee spilled on her.

Now, I don't really care what you think, and I don't really care what you think about me. But if you are going to try to snuff out my thoughts or tell me that I am wrong and that I cannot speak my thoughts, then I get a little riled. If you are going to tell me that I am the first insult-thrower here, and it was you who started with the insults and jabs, then I have a little problem. I don't agree with you here, but the issue now is that you are dis'ing me as a person.

Furthermore, in actuality, my frustration that you apparently got rattled at my describing behavior and words here, not you as a person.

I already broke my earlier proclamation that I was done with this thread, but your bringing up a new issue attacking my character got under my skin.

Anyway, this thread and these issues have already taken up too much of my time. I'm not going to get you to think my way, and you are not going to get me to think in yours.

Gavin,

Thanks for the lengthy response, but please, CALM DOWN. I never diss'ed you! I never told you that you were wrong, and I certainly never told you that you can't speak your mind.

I did say the following:
...if you disagree with the principle then we are done here because you have such a warped sense of responsibility and protecting people that the debate need not continue.
; and I still believe that.

A very common dispute resolution tactic is to restate the fundamental aspects of the argument as a generalization. It helps to remove the bias from each side of the debate. I have restated the fundamental facts at play as a generalization, and seek input on agreement or disagreement with the generalization. I agree with the generalization. If you or Caymen disagree then we haven't much left to talk about because we will be in fundamental disagreement. In other words, we will have restated the basis of the debate in terms that we both agree to, but for which we have differing opinions. When that happens we are at am impasse.

That's why SEVERAL TIMES I have stated the generalized principle, and neither you, nor Caymen has stated whether or NOT you agree with it.

I have stated my position, you and Caymen haven’t yours.

So, I will ask again:

When those that have positions of responsibility are LAX in their duties AND people are injured or die because of a chain of events that would not have occurred if the responsible parties performed their duties are the responsible parties partly to BLAME for the resulting injuries or deaths?

That’s the fundamental principle, you either agree, or not: YES, or NO?

I never once personally attacked you. You seemed to need an explanation and a generalization so I offered one. The generalization and explanation seemed rational and of common sense to me, thus my bewilderment. Don’t let that bewilderment on my part seem like an insult…it wasn’t. I never called you names. I never said you didn't have common sense. I said "it really can't be argued", because I believe my generalization to be sound and without debate...seemingly so sound you still haven't weighed in on it...

And as for our legal system, yes it is screwed up, but law is all about precedent and precedents are of most use when they can be generalized to the facts; not opinions, not specifics of the parties involved, but simply the facts. The facts in this particular case are that there are people that are responsible for safeguarding others, it has been brought into question if they have upheld their duties, and people were injured or killed in part, potentially, because of their dereliction of duty. Those are the facts presented for discussion (and if assumed true for a moment) then the debate is should those that were remiss in their duties share in the blame.

So, answer the question... Do you agree with the general principle: YES, or NO.

PS and BTW, Gavin, you were the first person to draw any type of "blood" by saying this about R Shek's post: "This is about the stupidest statement I have read in a long time."

I found that pretty offensive, so much so, I had to understand it.

What R Shek stated was rational, unopinionated and in no way controversial and as he himself said if the general discussion was about some other party (say police, or firefighters, or judges, or you name it), then I doubt you would have the same opinion. The ONLY way you could see or say otherwise is if you fundamentally disagree with the general principle I have stated...and so far, you haven't said you do.

Please answer the question. Thanks!

TJR

Power companies and/or their employees are not to blame when idiots light charcoal fires and run generators inside their homes and kill themselves and their families. The fault for the deaths is completely due to the idiot's actions. There is no fault to be assigned to the power company or its employees.

Gavin, you wonder why I get frustrated.

You still didn't answer the question.

I AGREE that a power company or it's employees are NOT to blame for the idiocy that people do when trying to keep warm in a power outtage. That idiocy is placed singularly on the individual.

However, the power company and employees, if derlict in their duty, should shoulder SOME of the blame for ALL tragedies that result from the extended outtage.

That has been my fundamental point all along (the last statement). You seem to disagree with me yet you focus on the idiocy act of the individual and not the chain of events. I simply don't see how the statement itself is so controversial.

So I will ask it another way, using a different example (PLEASE READ AND RESPOND):

If am ambulance driver while on a call to an emergency stops to pick up his dry cleaning, and as a result, some unqualified person at the scene of the emergency gives up waiting and administers first aid, injurying the person further SHOULD the ambulance driver be partly to blame?

YES OR NO?

I suspect that IF such a thing were to occur, that said ambulance driver would be fired.

The FUNDAMENTAL principle in the example above is the same as the thread: Someone who is responsible doesn't live up to that responsibility, and a third party does something incorrect/ill advised resulting in an injury of self or other.

Is the ambulance driver partly to blame?

TJR

Neither the power company nor its employees have GUARANTEED that power will be available 100% of the time to its customers. No one is OWED anything here, and each is responsible for his/her own acts.

Why do you think that the Power Company, its employees, the Union, (or the Government) OWES anybody power service 100% of the time? Why do you think that the power company and/or its Union employees are to blame for some idiot lighting up a charcoal fire inside his house and killing himself?

I don't think that anyone in this world is owed 100% guaranteed ambulance services either. I suppose you would blame Ford and the UAW if the Ford ambulance didn't go fast enough around the winding roads to get to the scene of the emergency in time? (Or would the city road department be to blame for making winding roads?)

I can see now that the problems of our society of individuals not accepting responsibility for their own actions are also linked to the belief that every individual is OWED everthing from the government, large corporations, etc. That ain't how this world is. No one promised that everything would be OK. Even God says in the book of Genesis that this life and this world will pretty much suck.

Sometimes you just got to use your head. You also have to accept that your actions may cause your demise. You also have to accept that sometimes stuff happens and it isn't your lucky day. You can't just go through life looking for someone else to blame to make you feel better.

Gavin,…please read and respond to the repeated question:

I never, nor did R. Shek ever mention a 100% guarantee for power, or that anyone OWES anyone anything. You use sayings like "Why do you think..." then present what you think I am saying or what you want me to be saying. I never said anything like that. I will tell you what I am thinking, thanks, and am very defensive to comments like “Why do you think…”

You still haven't answered the questions I have posed several times.

Also, you and Caymen fixate on the word "BLAME", as in "You can't just go through life looking for someone else to blame to make you feel better." First of all, how exactly can I be trying to make myself feel better? I am not personally invested in this debate other than to try to open people’s eyes. I am not a union member, I don’t live in Seattle. I have nothing personally to gain. Also, and again, please recognize that I and Shek have ONLY ever said: "partly to blame", or "share in the blame".

Part of this individual responsibility you seem to champion is accepting when one in a position of responsibility has to assume that responsibility and what it might mean when they do not.

I am *SO* not someone that plays the "blame game." But I am a realist and consider myself level headed and rational.

Here is another good example:

The James Kim family recently met tragedy. James died trying to save his family lost and stranded in a bad winter storm. Ultimately, his predicament and his death was his fault and his alone. However, if you followed the story and its details you would find that James came to a fork in the road and continued down the road that appeared to be wider, main road, and it was actually the wrong road. The markings that would have told him that were the "DEAD END" lettering painted on the road surface which was covered with snow. Then, a few hours after considered missing, a call went out to local agencies, and one key person to answer a call didn't, though he was on-call...WHY? Because he was watching a football game and didn't want to be bothered. So, a series of bad actions by those responsible helped to contribute to what ultimately killed a man. Yes, James himself ultimately are responsible, but if others are NOT to share in the blame for that tragedy (which is what you seem to be advocating), then ultimately nothing will change...poor signage will continue; those on-call will not respond unless it is convenient, etc.

Is that the world you want to live in?

Here's another example:

The 9-11 Commission found that NYC was whoefully unprepared for an attack and incident of the type that occurred that day, and found that police, fire and city services had an inadequate communications infrastructure for handling the multiple emergecies that happened. In sharing in the blame of the events of that day, those organizations adapted, updated and have become stronger and better. Isn't that good? Or do you thin the 9-11 Commission was simply playing the "blame game?"

Lastly, those that are PRO-Union have said time and time again that the main reasons for unions are so that there is a check and balance and to make otherwise bad companies do the right thing.

How, exactly is blaming those at fault, even if only in part, any different than a similar check and balance? (There is another question).

I have posed several questions...the general case, and the ambulance driver case...and you haven't answered e

I am beginning to think that you are ducking the question, as if your only legit answer wouldn’t be helpful to your line of thinking.

TJR

Q, I'll agree that what I am talking about is indirect vs direct responsibility. That's probably why I and R Shek have said "partly to blame" or "share in the blame". Those indirectly involved with a tragedy should logically share in the blame. Are they completely to blame...of course not. Are they even largely to blame...well that depends on the circumstances.

In the case of the James Kim case, the sign in question was on the road surface. That seems to me to be something that is simply poor design and needs to be changed. Dead-end lettering on a road surface in Georgia is okay...but in Colorado, that seems like a bad idea that should change. And if those responsible for the signage assume NONE of the blame, why change at all?

Q also said:
So, in the case of the power company, they cannot be held directly responsible for the ignorant decisions others make.

Correct, which is WHY I am so glad that neither R Shek or I said that they were "directly responsible". The harshest that was said was: "partially to blame", and "share in the blame", which has proven pretty hard to debate because no one has done it here yet.

Others, and you included, keep saying things like "it's not their fault", "they are not to blame" and "they are not responsible for the stupid actions of others"...which I agree with...but those are all things that I and R Shek have never said.

R Shek selected his words carefully, and mine were selected as carefully. "Partial" and "Share" are the words and they MODIFY the word "Blame"...yet whenever someone challenges our position they seem to avoid using those words again when they restate the case. Why is that?

You gave new words, Q, "direct" and "indirect". I agree that what we are talking about is "indirect", therefore it would be an assumption of shared blame...indirectly.

But can't a party or person be partly to blame or share in the blame of a tragedy, indirectly?

Were the parents of the Columbine murderers partly to blame through their indirect involvement as the boy's parents? Answer the question folks!

(yet another example of a responsible party that was seemingly negligent in their responsibility and as part of that negligence people were killed and injured because of the actions of others).

TJR

Q says:
This is the main difference between us here. I do not believe ANY of the blame can be placed on an indirect party. That's right, zero blame.

The reasoning is this: The indirectly responsible party has shown due diligence. They have posted a sign to warn of the dead end. They also posted signs that warned of an unmaintained road, if I recall correctly

I agree with you there. IF the responsible party has displayed due diligence then they are blameless. I am a reasonable person, so of COURSE I have to agree with that.

Clearly it is WHEN due diligence is not shown that some blame may be cast.

R Shek stated that if we are to assume that the initial reports were true and that work slowdowns prolonged the outages (clearly not due diligence), then, yada yada.

So, yes, a basis of my point is that there must be dereliction of duty. R. Shek even stated that dereliction as an assumption, and got slammed for saying something stupid because of his logical assertions.

P.S. The James Kim scenario had a single sign...about 8" x 5" centered on a pole indicating a seasonal, unmaintained road, but not clearly defining which of the two roads in the fork the sign referenced (the sign posts themselves were in the Y of the fork). The only other signage was the lettering on the road surface, which was covered with snow. Locals even painted the main road surface with the name of the road and arrows pointing the way because so many people during normal, summer weather take the wrong road. I bet real money that the signs change in the weeks to come.

TJR

Q asks:
Even if work slowed down, can you prove it was responsible for the idiocy of burning charcoal in the house?

Of course not. That's not the point. The question is can it be viewed as a "contributing factor"...and clearly if there was a work slowdown or some other form of negligence then it was a contributing factor because it prolonged the outage and the prolonged outage increases desperation.

Can you prove it was directly responsible for that accident?

Nope, I wouldn't even try to prove "direct responsibility". All I or Shek was trying describe was a contributing factor.

Regarding "was the time wasted?" I don't see how that makes a difference, regardless the circumstances, if we assume there was a deriliction in duty.

TJR

Seems R Shek was saying that the initial post indicated that union members may have been dragging their feet in restoring power, and if that is true, they should shoulder some of the blame in any tragedies related to the power outage.

Seems logical to me and rather unemotionally unopinionated.

Webster says:

Main Entry: 1blame

Pronunciation: 'blAm

Function: transitive verb

Inflected Form(s): blamed; blam·ing

Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French blamer, blasmer, from Late Latin blasphemare to blaspheme, from Greek blasphEmein

1 : to find fault with : CENSURE <the right to praise or blame a literary work>

2 a : to hold responsible <they blame me for everything> b : to place responsibility for <blames it on me>

Webster also says:

Main Entry: re·spon·si·ble

Pronunciation: ri-'spän(t)-s&-b&l

Function: adjective

Etymology: Anglo-French responsable, from respuns

1 a : liable to be called on to answer b (1) : liable to be called to account as the primary cause, motive, or agent <a committee responsible for the job> (2) : being the cause or explanation <mechanical defects were responsible for the accident> c : liable to legal review or in case of fault to penalties

2 a : able to answer for one's conduct and obligations : TRUSTWORTHY b : able to choose for oneself between right and wrong

3 : marked by or involving responsibility or accountability <responsible financial policies> <a responsible job>

4 : politically answerable; especially : required to submit to the electorate if defeated by the legislature -- used especially of the British cabinet

How would you hold Union Electricians responsible for the deaths of familys due to the burning of charcoal inside a home? What penalties would you assess Union Electricians for the deaths? Which Union Electricians would you punish?

Q asks:
OK, concentrate then on proving the contributing factor. How was it a contributing factor in the person's decision to light a fire in the house. ANd how much time its too long or too short.

That's an unfair question/challenge. Unfair because of the "How..." question you then ask. Clearly I can't prove that the contributing factor affected the person's decision to do something unsafe. Their decision was their responsibility, clearly.

However, the contributing factor (which we assume) is that the outtage was longer than it would have been if diligence was assumed. And by being prolonged people get more desperate and do things to stay warm...the longer the period, the more desperation and the more people attempting to stay warm (that's common sense). Can I prove it...no! But one thing I can prove is that if the outtage was as short as possible than there is absolutely no blame for those tasked with ending the outtage. If, however they didn't do what they were supposed to and ended the outtage as quickly as possible, then they certainly MIGHT share some blame for bad things that happened during the period of the outtage that was artifically long...for if they did what they were supposed to that prolonged period would not exist, thus no ability for people to harm themselves.

But, Q, you ask for proof. Note that there was no attempt to PROVE anything in any of my responses. That's why Shek and I used words like "if you assume", and "if the initial story is true".

Be well.

Another question:

For you gun owners out there with children in the home...do you lock up your guns, or keep them unlocked and loaded? I suppose you could keep them unlocked and loaded and let your kids be responsible for their own safety and making their own good decisions. Yet, most do the responsible thing, right?

I think we do that because we simply recognize it is our responsibility and we couldn't live with ourselves if our kids did something stupid with the guns. It should be the same reasoning that the utility companies use when it comes to their responsibility towards its customers...be responsible to serve and to protect.

TJR

If, however they didn't do what they were supposed to and end the outtage as quickly as possible, then they certainly MIGHT share some blame for bad things that happened during the period of the outtage that was artifically long.

You are also making an assumption that the union electricians were "supposed to end the outage as soon as possible". How do you know that they weren't working to end the outage as soon as possible? Do you know that there is a protocol and procedure to restoring power in such a manner? Maybe the union electricians being discussed were on schedule with their portion of the work and were waiting for another group to perform other operations? Maybe the area that these union electicians were working was a lower-priority area compared to others? How long is "artificially long"?

I could think of several cases where the union electricians could be neglegent and cause death (not by charcoal burning) by restoring power TOO SOON.

See, there are way too many details that interact here for the blame/responsibility for the families deaths. It does no good at all to proclaim that the union electricians share blame/responsibility for the deaths that were caused by burning charcoal inside a home.

Hell-- there are deaths from charcoal being burned inside of homes even when the electricity is on and working properly. How can you say that this was caused by a union electrician?

Spouting inflammatory statements as though they are indisputable facts or gospel does not do anyone any good. In fact, it starts wordy discussions such as the ones here.

The whole point of the article was to stir $hit on the union electricians.

Another question:

For you gun owners out there with children in the home...do you lock up your guns, or keep them unlocked and loaded? I suppose you could keep them unlocked and loaded and let your kids be responsible for their own safety and making their own good decisions. Yet, most do the responsible thing, right?

I think we do that because we simply recognize it is our responsibility and we couldn't live with ourselves if our kids did something stupid with the guns. It should be the same reasoning that the utility companies use when it comes to their responsibility towards its customers...be responsible to serve and to protect.

That is why every bag of charcoal is clearly labled that it should not be used indoors. Even so, you cannot prevent stupid people from doing stupid things. If and when they do stupid things, it is their own fault, not the manufacturer of the charcoal, and certainly not the fault of union electricians who are out working overtime in horrible weather conditions trying to restore power.