sealant for rear diff?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayson Vagenas

Reaction score
what sealent should i use for the rear diff cover?

i have the high temp red but is that good or is there something better?

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer the Ultra copper.

The red will work.....

I also purchased 8.8 mustang rear gaskets, use a super thin coat of silly cone and it will never leak.....

Todd Z

I use the black. Never had a drip.

If you notice on the OE diff cover, they use the black too.

Tom

I have an aftermarket diff. cover I'll be installing in a couple of weeks. It comes with an O-ring gasket set in a groove. Is that sufficient, or should I add the sealant as well?

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
The one I have used on the broncos for 20+ years is loctite 587 ultra blue never had a problem with a leak. Put it on like pic. above good luck. Bill

Eric, IF your diff housing is straight and true and has no scrapes, nicks or gouges, it will work.. But that is a small area for the seal to work on...

Almost any color sillycone will work, But the manufacturers use black or Grey to try to match the color of the material so you don't see this red or blue line around everything..

They do sell ULTRA Grey, which is what most foreign and some American manufacturers are using today...

Todd Z

I used black on mine and I have a very slow drip:angry: Albeit, the sealant was quite a few years old, didn't think that would have mattered. Now I got t odo it again, but this time try and get all the drained lube back in it cleanly. I cleaned and sanded both surfaces very well, I ws pretty surprised t osee it dripping.

Nice cover and 1 rusty sway bar....... :lol::lol::lol:

Hey tom, serious question, not being an a$$ here, why didn't you lay the identification tags up and down, rather then let them hang out wildly like that ???

Todd Z

Fair enough.......

Let us know how the cover holds up....

Todd Z