SD Coil

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremiah Morgan

Reaction score
Are there Noticable gains in using a ScreamDemon coil and bigger plug wires?

Performance? Gas mileage?

I'm thinking about getting one and want Opinions please..thank you

Jeremiah

IMO on a stock motor unless you are having an issue with the coil or one of the plug wires you will notice absolutely nothing...other than a lighter wallet...by changing these items. Even on a lightly modded engine, like intake, exhaust and tuner the stock ignition components are adequate. Again this is just my opinion, others will chime in I'm sure

There is a higher voltage which will carry more current to the plugs. You need spiral wound wires to carry it though. The difference is at higher rpm. Less chance of miss fire. This actually works better in a motor that that has higher compresion.

I have the SD coil. Bought at discount from another memeber.

I cant say if there is an performace or mpg improovement. Never dyno'd or check mpg.

What I have always prefered, along with a hoter spark. Is elctronicly controled dwell. That would give the coil more saturation time. Which would increase the duration of the spark. That I know of, not available for our tracs.

I had a crane cams electronic ignition on my '94 stang in my library. I did get some torque and HP, on the dyno, 3000rpm up to red line.

The electronics is the gold box on the firewall, next to the brake booster. The lower resistance hoter e-coil is under the chrome cover up front, by the power steering pump. Of course this was the 302 with mechanical distributor. Not sure if the DIS system can be programed with an xcal for longer duration spark.

I was pushing 376 RWHP and 400 tq on the stang. Naturally asperated. Started with a base 302 cobra motor. To many internal mods to list.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Eddie, fully understand where (back in the day) your coming from, been there done that.

But it's apples and oranges today.Or even the late 90s.

Bill, mostly what I was thinking. Especially DIS on our tracs. Good set of wires and plugs mostly, is good.

I probably went into too much explanation....lol

Yes,

The SD coil is NOT a HP maker at all NOT 1 HP is gained....

BUT once installed the engine does idle smoother and over 4K rpms the exhaust note is changed as it is a smoother firing of the plugs....

New wires and plugs on a stock ST or slightly modded ST is all you need.....

But I noticed the idle and the exhaust note change on EVERY ST I installed the coil on..

Todd Z