SCT dealer says 07ST tune is difficult to change

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat Freeman

Reaction score
I got a response from an SCT dealer (other than Wayne) who looked at the 07ST tunes. I commented on lack of response, upshifting being sloppy and that I'd like this thing to downshift into 1st a lot sooner than full stop.

"I can't speak for the tune you have now but I can say that all SCT dealers are very limited on what they can do with the new Automatics in these 4.6 06 and newer Explorer's. Truly I've reviewed your old code and dont see much that is available to adjust for the transmission to correct the downshifting issues. I do see corrections or improvements rather for the shifting firmness but not much else."

My fingers are crossed that SCT can spend some doing more R&D. If Ford can make these modifications, it would just be a matter of time before SCT figures it out. I hope.

Well, I've reached the conclusion that that sluggish start and not downshifting crisply are dangerous.

In the 3 months that I've had my '07 ST, I've had more than one occassion where the slow take-off has almost caused me an accident. Each time I've had to slam on the brakes when I realized that the ST was not going to move as expected.

Once it caused the guy behind my to slam his on, because he expected a reasonable start-up from me.

It's really a safety issue.:(

Good look with that. My wife's 04 Mountaineer has TBW and it is sluggish and seems like stepping on a rotten apple during shifting.

BTW, how can SCT not get served with a "cease and desist" letter from Ford? Aren't they reverse-engineering copyrighted materials and then altering them and isn't that outlawed by the Digital Millenium Copyright Act of 2000?

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah SST, I really don't have a vested interest one way or the other, just being in the business in which DMCA seems to get in the way a lot I was generally interested.

However they're set up on the '07 ST, they suck.

My Corvette has TBW and it's passes the criteria of a LEV. It's throttle response is instantaneous.

I think the sluggishness has nothing to do with emissions and more to do with a bad implementation.

[Broken External Image]:

It is only an electric motor, I wounder how hard it would be to loosen the return spring pressure or run some type of bypass or secondary or even a parallel system that would make it work the way it should...

Todd Z

DMCA allows them to reverse engineer to test interoperability of their product with the Ford PCM. If they were to modify and sell Ford's software, then it would be illegal, however they sell their own program to run on the PCM, uploaded via their flasher.

Hmm, connect a real wire between the throttle and the pedal and let the PCM fight over who wins... Good idea!!!

wwashing, I feel the same way. I have to pull into traffic on the ride home and do not look forward to it. There's a bump in the road as well, so I have hesitation, power, then traction control. It makes of for a very sporting ride home. The 02ST didn't have these problems!

Oh, and you had to post a pic of your Vette, didn't you wwashing??? Oh, to keep up with the Jones's...

455134d0928d6e2bf3622617125bb04d.jpg

A1,

It is...

And my 'Trac actually squeaked the tires today, taking off from a light, to keep the fool,

who I could see coming up behind me, at a fast pace, from taking out my nicely

painted, factory cladded rear-end!!!

All that and my fill up today showed 22.25 miles per gallon (again)!

Me love my '05 "Long Time"!!!!:D

My ST was performing a lot better today. It was 65 degrees on the ride in. Tranny was still shifting sloppy but I was really pushed into my seat.

I took that picture of my Vette on the way to Arches Nat'l Park in Utah. Drove my C5 from Baltimore to San Francisco, down the coastal highway to San Diego and back in 2000. It was a nice 2 week driving vacation.

6ebedd5ada40c2711b1fae44fc695628.jpg

Nobleman, they sell a product that, IMHO, is used to modify copyrighted software. If SCT is reverse engineering Ford's firmware, and if said firmware is copyrighted, and then SCT or third-party distributes patches to that firmware, than its the patching, not the reverse engineering, that is against the law.

It's derivative work.

TJR

Latest posts