Screeching sound during start-up

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Art Garcia

Reaction score
During start up, mostly when the Engine is cold, I will hear a screeching sound coming from the engine compartment that only last 2 seconds. It started doing it right after I changed out my serpentine belt from the Ford brand to Dayco. I believe it has something to do with the power steering. Like I mentioned, when starting up, it will screech for two seconds, but if I immediately turn the wheel it continues and gets louder. Anyone know what I can do to get rid of this annoying sound?

Be sure the AC is turned to OFF to see if your compressor is causing any issue, otherwise, I would suspect the tensioner is not pulling the new belt tight enough. (With the new belt, the tensioner is not in the same position)

Arturo- Did you use the 1/2" shorter belt? (060860)

I don't believe the tensioner pulley has adjustment.

May have a weak tensonor. I went to the dayco coged belt, .5" shorter. Stoped all my slipage. Power steering performs better even.

I you need a new tensonor. Get the Gates. It had a flat wound spring. Others have wound, round spring wire. The flat wound spring is much more stable, stronger and lasts longer.

DAYCO SUCKS !!!!!

I had the EXACT same thing, i went to the shorter gates belt, issue gone !!

Todd Z

My shorter gates belt still sliped on the PS pump.

My tensonor is good.

I guess different experiances sometimes...

I believe the Dayco belt was the same length as the Original. OEM specifications, and has a different part number than listed above.

So this screeching sound is coming from the belt and I also have my RPMs jumping around a bit by 1000k. So during idle instead of 750-1000 it's almost at 2000. When I drive I goes up to 4000. And I've noticed it jump up and down at normal driving.

Latest posts