Screamin Demon and livewires performance

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Z

Reaction score
I have read some of the older posts on these. None of them really went that deep into the before and after performance by the members who have bought and installed the Screamin Demon and livewires. Wanted to know if it would be worth it or not to buy and install these. I am getting ready to install new plugs and wires soon. I decided to go with the Motorcraft plugs and JBA wires, but if these are really an improvement I will go this route instead of just JBA wires. Thanks for any info.

Unless you intend to push your trac into the High rpm range alot. I would just go with good wires and plugs.

Correct,

The SD coil smooths out the idle and helps eliminate misfires at HIGH rpms... over 5K rpm..

As for the wires, Honestly I had 2 sets of JBA's fail on different trucks....

Get a good set of wires ( 8mm Live wires / Taylor / motorcraft) and OEM plugs and call it a day for regular maintenance and daily driving.

IF you plan off road, racing or high RPM stuff then do an upgrade..

Todd Z

As for the wires, Honestly I had 2 sets of JBA's fail on different trucks....

Wow. I wasn't aware of that! I have installed 8 sets of Taylor wires (8 different vehicles) and never had any of them fail. Interesting...The JBA Wires are sharp looking wires though.

Pretty much, when it comes to the plugs and wires, IMO, use OE Plugs and Spirial Wound wires.

As for an aftermarket coil, it is up to the owner to decide if you want to invest the money. I have a stock coil on my Trac and I will not upgrade my coil unless the OE one dies, then I would have to compare price of new vs. price of stock and decide if it is worth it.

Tom

So Todd, I was thinking of getting the SD coil and wires, but your recommending against them unless I will be off roading, racing or other high RPM stuff? I do some light off roading from time to time, and like to get the trac up to speed quickly. I am in no shape to race anything....yet. And even if I do, it wont be a daily thing, just on occasion when I am feeling frisky!

So, for value, will I see any difference either performance or fuel savings by switching to SD, or should I just get some good 8mm Livewires or similar and not worry about the coil as you suggest?

I am trying to aviod getting something I really wont need.

Jerry,

I would love to sell you a product, BUT if it does not suite you I would not recommend it..

All the mustang S/C guys i deal with want the extra voltage and consistency due to the motor being S/C....

I would get a good set of wires and OEM plugs..

Tom,

Yes, My set failed, dry rotted and cracked after 30K, and George C had a set that got stiff and looked like they were going to go soon.

I warranted my set out and then sold them.. George sold his as is.

I may have pics of the bad JBA's, i can look if you like.

Todd Z

As for an aftermarket coil, it is up to the owner to decide if you want to invest the money. I have a stock coil on my Trac and I will not upgrade my coil unless the OE one dies, then I would have to compare price of new vs. price of stock and decide if it is worth it.

OEM coil pack is listed at $104.99 plus shipping on Torrie's FastPartsNetwork web site.

SD coil pack lists for $97 shipped on Zabteck.com

Better coil for less $$$.:cool: So if your OEM coil dies, it is worth it to get the SD coil pack, no matter how you use your Trac.:banana:

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL Andy....

We even normally take off 5-10 bucks off that for MYST members... LOL

Todd Z

Just tryin' to throw more business your way, Todd!:D Lord knows you've got enough of my money already!;)

Plus, I found it interesting that the OEM coil is more expensive than a better performing aftermarket product.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you everyone for your input.

Todd Thank you for telling me about the issue with JBA wires. I am going to defiantly pass on them. I will just go with the set by Motorcraft. I actually would like to find a green set of wires, but not having much luck with that.

I think Taylor will make you a get, or carries green....

I know Gary D had a set made for him

Todd Z

OEM coil pack is listed at $104.99 plus shipping on Torrie's FastPartsNetwork web site.

SD coil pack lists for $97 shipped on Zabteck.com

Plus, I found it interesting that the OEM coil is more expensive than a better performing aftermarket product.

Actually, this is very common. OEM wires are usually more expensive than aftermarket ones are. Actually OEM parts are more expensive than aftermarket.

Tom

What about all the talk in the past, that the SD coil pack allows you set your plug gaps wider for better performance? Is that still considered an advantage, or did that conventional wisdom fall into the same category as the TB spacer myth?

The performance may only be .01 seconds faster in the 1/4 mile.

I index my spark plugs. they claim it improves performance. Do I feel a difference with them indexed? No. Why do I do it? Because I can.

Tom