Scraping Brakes

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy VanNess

Reaction score
Hey All,

Just had a quick question about the scraping noise coming from my brakes. A few weeks ago I bought new pads to put on because I knew it would need to be done. Not for any reason other than it has been a while and I drive a lot. Anyway, I haven't had time to put them on because I have been working so much. So, last night I am coming home from work and hear the scraping sound that comes with needing new pads. Of course I hear it again this morning on the commute and to me, it is like nails on a chalkboard.

My question: Am I hearing a guard of some sort? Would this be the scraping to let me know to change my brakes soon, or should I be worried about metal on metal? Like I said, I have new pads in the garage and will be changing them this weekend, but do you think I will be ok for the remainder of the week? Thanks for an info.

Tommy

Oh sorry, no, it is the front brakes. I haven't noticed any abnormal wear on the rotors either. That was a quick response Caymen. :banana:

(the banana was the closest thing I could find to a simple smiley face LOL)

My last set of pads sounded like that at times and the rotors were always smooth. I finally replaced the pads because they wore out.

Thanks Mark. All I would need them to last is for another few days before I can replace them. But WOW, do they ever engineer the warning sound into the pads. There is no way to ignore that sound.

So, I guess I am ok then right? The scraping sound I am hearing is just the warning to let me know I need to replace them? If so, great news because I wanted to get to it this weekend anyway. Thanks for the info guys.

Tommy

I re-read your original post. It sounded like you already replaced them, but seems like you haven't.

Here is my prediction. The slides stuck putting all the wear on your inboard pad. That is why it looks great from the outside.

Change them now or prepare to replace your rotors.

Tom

As mentioned in a previous post on Monday 3/29. (Brake Pads)

If you have to turn the rotors below 24.5 mm, consider them door stops.

A quality pair will cost you around $200. (4WD slightly less)

As Tom said, check them NOW, before it's too late.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wear indicators make noise when the brakes are not applied. The noise stops when you apply the brakes.

If you are hearing noise when applying the brakes, you are probably eating your rotors up.

+1 on Caymen's post on the frozen calipers. My '07 had rear calipers replaced twice under warranty because they froze and ate the brake disks.

Wear Indicators Thank you Gavin, I couldn't think of the term. I was wondering if I was hearing this. Which if so, I figured I would have enough time on the pads to last until the weekend. I am worried because my situation is the opposite of what you are describing. So, I will get on this.

Thanks for the comments guys. I am a little more concerned now than I was before posting. I will look to replace the pads tonight. (Ugh, around midnight) Replacing the pads is an easy task I can do having done it before on several different cars before. I've got the C-clamps and everything.

@Caymen: Thanks for the tip, I will take a look at it tonight, I hadn't thought about that but will definitely have a look. You always give good information.

@swshawaii: I appreciate the info. While I am down there, I will take a quick measurement of the rotors. I haven't needed to get them turned, but I also don't want to.

Thanks guys for the responses. Very much appreciated.

Tommy

Edit: grammar

Last edited by a moderator:
Be sure to open the bleeders when pushing the piston in. You dont wont old contaminated fluid to back up into the ABS system.:supercool:

I hear the same thing from my breaks, mainly the rear (4 wheel disc). I pulled the wheels to check them out and the pads have plenty left. I placed some disc lube between the pad and the shims and it helped for a while but now the sound is back and still the pads are fine. Any thoughts on how to fix this? No need in replacing good pads. Perhaps adding a shim?