Save $ at the pump

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Richard,

When this practice was first caught. It was a hidden fee and then returned. thats why some got bit by it.

Balancing a checkbook isn't as easy to do anymore. Let's say you transfer funds for a $49.95 foreign purchase. That's not what the final amount will be. With today's international funds and transfers, the actual amount the bank takes out will depend on what time of day they make the transaction.

I recently bought a cable for my phone from Great Britain. When my statement arrived, there was an 8 cents difference than what the debit card amount was. Similar thing with a flag display case purchased from Quebec.

What gets me are the people who refuse to use debit cards at convenience stores. Little old lady bought a doughnut and a coffee and wrote a fricking check. The line behind her was getting long as she diligently and carefully wrote the check and handed it to the clerk, who looked at me and shrugged. The clerk ran the check through the instant funds verification device and handed it back to her. She said, "No. That's yours." The clerk explained the funds were already withdrawn and that he doesn't need (or want) the check. So he had to explain why. THEN... the lady stood there and wrote the check in her check register AND balanced it. By this time, there were 15 people in line. She had the balls to turn and say to the waiting crowd, "You're not going to make me hurry. It's my turn in line and you'll get your turns when I'm good and ready."

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark K,

I can understand where some older people (I'll be 66 later this month:grin:) might not trust using Debit cards, especially if they don't have a computer. I know for a long time, I resisted using Debit/ATM cards even though I have been in the computer industry for 45 years. Debit cards do not offer the same level of fraud protection as a credit card, and when you write a check you expect to have the copy of the cancelled check as proof of payment.

These undocumented transactions can cause a lot of concern for older people who may not have had much exposure to computers and all this electronic banking that we all now like so much.

My pet peeve about people who write checks are the ones (usually women) who wait until the cashier rings up their entire order and gives them the total, before they start digging in their duffle bag sized purse to find their checkbook !! They act like the cashier is going to tell them that the groceries are free or somehow they did not expect to have to pay?? Then when they finally find their checkbook and a pen, they are so slow that you think they are writing an Inaugural Speach.

When I used checks, I would have the checkbook out and already have written in the date, the name of the store on the Payee line, and even signed my check and just waiting to write in the total amount....which I could do in about the same time I could swipe a debit card and enter my PIN.

It's about as irritating as the people who always have items that are not marked with a price, or have a million coupons and half of them are expired...:angry:

...Rich

I balance my checkbook but actually just found my checkbook in my desk after months of having been "missing". The last check I had written from that account was in December. It's the account that I pay the ST, Edge and insurance from (electronically) and just have a set amount from each check go into that account. The remainder at the end of the month gets rolled into the savings account I have with that bank.

The other checking account we use for the rest of our lives. We write checks for tithe, rent, and health insurance. The rest we need, we withdraw in cash after setting the budget and separate the cash according to it's intended purpose. Any unplanned for expenses hit the debit card.

:back2topic: We have for the past couple months been using debit cards for gas as we got away from using cash for gas but are getting back to it with this next budget. My gas station doesn't have card payment at the pump available anyway.:bwahaha:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hugh,

I hear you. Half the time I can't remember where my checkbook is because I use it so infrequently. I did have to dig it out today because I was buying myself a birthday present that cost $430 with taxes (leather recliner w/ottoman) :grin: As a precaution to limit fraud, I set the limit on my debit card to not exceed $300 per day, so I needed to pay with a check.

I pay all my bills using my banks Bill Payer service. It works great and has never been late or missed a payment. If the bill I am paying has a bank account for payments, my bank will do an Electronic Fund Transfer on the day the bill is due. If they don't have a account, my bank will write a check early enough so that the check arrives before the due date. Currently, only my City Water company does not allow electronic funds transfers, so my bank sends my payment by check. The good think is that my account is not charged until the check is cashed. I suspect I am saving about $3-$4 a month in postage alone by using the Biller Payer Service. :banana:

My interest paying checking account post my interest into my Checking account and the next day they transfer the monthly interest payment to my linked Savings account automatically.

...Rich

here on long isle some stations lowered the cash price below norm by 10-20 cents a gallon. the catch was that the credit price was $1-$2 more then cash.

most motorist's were seeing the lower price and were lured in and when they paid with a CC they got hit with the huge extra charge.

BTW: it is not illegal in ny as long as it is posted. but again most didn't observe the diff.

:fire:

gary s.,

Yes, I heard about that several weeks ago on www.gasbuddy.com. They posted and article to be on the lookout for gas stations in the New York area that were doing that....advertising a very low price (for cash only), and then gouging the credit card customers if they did not see the "Cash Price" sign.

...Rich

That's just poor business practice. I would not frequent a place like that.

Hugh,

I agree. The problem is they depend on people not noticing that the prices they advertise are for "Cash Only" They put their credit cards in, then then they get trapped....I'm sure many people do not even notice until after they left the gas station...and then wonder what happened? Just what the gas station planned on.:angry:

....Rich

also remember people who have "fleet" fuel cards for their company vehicles are not paying attention or don't give a poop :angry:

Latest posts