S/T Front tire cupping...Let's talk

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lester Durst

Reaction score
Group. I posted a note that continued on what another member had asked about the "typical" S/T front tire cupping issue as its again happening to the new tires I had installed on the wifes' 02.

This is a "problem" that all (?) of us S/T owners seem to have to deal with.

It seems doubtful that Ford will admit its a "design" problem or that the various tire companies will say its a (their) tire issue.

BUT...It is OUR issue and it seems that if your a S/T owner you will have to deal with this problem at some point during your ownership.

I'ld like to suggest that perhaps this group can gather information and perhaps we can come up with a fix of some sort. A fix that is more than "replace tires/rotate tires every xxx miles/replace shocks/ etc".

So...Let's talk...and continue this on a new post...

No tire cupping,

I have oem good years, New upper ball joints, new shock and thicker Front sway bar..

I am fine, No cupping, over 60K on the truck

Todd Z

Lester - I started to have this on my '01 with the crapyears on there back in 2003. I had replaced the shocks, sway bar and put on long trail TA's. I put 35k on those tires with ZERO problems with cupping. I have since put a body lift on and went with bigger tires. I can't say what causes it or what fixes it, only what I have done to date.

edit : I also replace the ball joints at 80k.

Last edited by a moderator:
"So...Let's talk...and continue this on a new post..."

PLEASE NO...There are enough posts to talk about it already!!!!

Dave S.

New shocks here and no more cupping issues. Shocks appear to be a very cheap fix and with the obvious other benefits its a no brainer and non issue.

I have serious cupping on the fronts, started around 30K(?). Only suspension mod is the EE rear sway bar I put on around 20K (?). Just rotated (front to back) and will get new shocks and keep an eye on the "new" fronts for a while and see what happens and report.