???s' about diffferent cat convertors

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieS'04

In Memoriam 1950-2022
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the the tech and reason, about. Metalic subtrate, matrix metalic and ceramic catylitic convertors.

I know that the OEM standard is ceramic internal. You can buy high flows from several companies. In all the above internals. Im curious about the purpose and qaulity. Especialy if I build true duals from the Y-Pipe back.

None of there websites explain the purpose or diference of the internals. All they ever say is Califonia has to use OEM.

Thanks

Eddie,

It is my understanding that ceramic converters are old school and as such have the poorest flow. Of the other 2 that you mentioned I have only heard the term metallic substrate. These cats do the same job as the ceramic ones but can withstand more punishment, flow better and are also physically smaller. Ceramic converters are the cheapest to make but that is about the only advantage to a ceramic converter.

Thanks Scott. That is what I was hoping. If I buy the metalic subtrate's. I want the flow but I also want the emissions control. Plus the better quality.

The seller sites I have visited dont tell this info. It is as if your are supose to know..LOL

here are the 2 items Im looking at from magnaflo. The offset cats for clearance. The x-pipe for the O2 sensor.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Eddie, I'm dealing with a fau pax right now. I bought converters from Magnaflow that were supposed to be OBD-2, with two O2 sensor bungs. Guess what, I'm poppin error codes all over. Had to actually talk to someone who knows, to figure out which ones would work. Ended up ordering two more cats(#46056), that again, are supposed to be OBD-2, but are California CARB certified. The new ones look almost identical to stock, with one bung in the center of the cat. The other will have to be welded in to the head pipe by the shop. Still have an exhaust leak. Now it looks like the rear of the cylinder head is burnt. Nothing is ever easy for me. Might be a good excuse to order that top end set up that I want, but get the high compression heads instead. Bob :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Bob,

My gen1 Has one O2 sensor after the main cat. If I put the sensor in a bung. IN the middle of the X-pipe. I think it will work. It will measure both cats that way. I might have to buy an extension wire for the O2sensor.

they are available.

From the x-pipe. I will use a magnflo mufler like yours. I will do 2 1/4" From the RT-pipe flange to the muffler. Then 2" tailpipes. For easy routing and more backpressure, since this is a true dual on a V6...Dont want to loose the low end grunt. And it will still breath the best at top speed or WOT....

Torrie will have to retune possibly.

Im running his 93 tune. Since I put the powertrax unit in. The power is on both wheels. Thats why I had to make the traction bars. As the wheel spin slows the axle wraps upward and it wheel hops. Torrie is a good tuner.

Bob,

If you had the oem y pipe and took that out, you need more exhaust flow over the 02 sensor to stop it from throwing a code, you need an X pipe or crossover H pipe to stop that from happening..

Todd Z

Latest posts