'Rusty' Parking Brake

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I left the ST home for a few days over the New Year weekend. I left the parking brake on. (it was pretty rainy and dreary this past weekend) I go to leave for work yesterday morning, and.....I'm all bound up. I have a suspicion that the brake rusted to the drum. Is there any protocol on diagnosing what might be going on? ie; looking at the cables and such? If it is rust, can I just beat on it a bit to break it up some? I'm hoping I don't have to drag it to the shop.

Cheers!

Some times releasing it, and backing up can break it free, You also can damage things doing that, but most of the time it is just frozen.....

I have used electric heaters to thaw rusted cables and drums..

Todd Z

Reach around and tap with a hammer. That should help. Have someone pump the brakes while doing this. Do this in park just incase it comes loose and rolls.

It could be rust or it could be Ice. If the vehicle got wet and then the temperature dropped below freezing, it can freeze the cables.

If you use your parking brake occasionally, it probably is not rust causing it to stick. The fact that you got it to set the parking brakes would idicate that it was not rusted.

Having grown up in Northern Ohio, and lived in Germany for 8.5 years, and this is an all too common problem, so I am pretty sure it's ice that has your parking brake stuck.

I always followed the old rule, to never use the parking brake in freezing weather.

...Rich

The only time I use the parking brake is to cycle it once a month and when parking on hills.

Latest posts