Running Cold

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conrad AlbertoJr

Reaction score
Just wanted some input from the group before I tear into my truck this weekend.

Toward the end of last summer I noticed there was no coolant in the reservoir. Filled it to the line, and continued driving. The only difference I began to notice was that the truck wasn't warming up as fast as it normally does. As time progressed it began running cooler (indicated), with the needle never going past the 1/3 area of the scale. Its been that way since, and I again found the reservoir empty, but there was coolant in the radiator. So, obviously its leaking or eating the fluid somewhere. Does this symptom sound indicative of a specific problem? Or should I just trace the system and see if I can find a leak?

As always, thanks for the input.

Conrad.

Just went through this on the wife's Mustang. A very slow leak from a broken hose clamp on the upper radiator hose. Supposedly, the car will keep hot water from the heater to protect the motor. Start with a search, you'll find it. Bob

You definitly have a leak. The most common. Is the lower t-stat housing.

As for running cold. I suspect your t-stat is stuck open. Not regulating motor temp.

I agree with Bob and Eddie,

At first I thought your theromostat may be stuck in the open position, but the constant loss of coolant would indicate a leak...and probably a small one. When the coolant level drops, the temperature sensor is not picking up a true coolant temperature and water is not circulating properly because the water pump is sucking air. This can be a very dangerous situation for your engine which can overheat and never give you an overheating temperature light

They have some dyes that you can put into the coolant that will glow under a black light at the sight of the leak, however it is usually cheaper to just replace both the upper and lower radiator hoses, the heater hoses, and the little water pump bypass hose, since they probably need new ones after about 3 years anyway. You should also check the water pump and radiator for leaks since this is like the next likely places for a leak. Freeze plugs or cracked block would be a last resort, but a possibility.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
My leak was the overflow hose between the rad and the degass bottle.. cut the ends off and reattached w/ a couple of ty-raps

Latest posts