Rumbly in my tumbly

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshua Mercer

Reaction score
Ok, here is the symptoms. On occasion, at a stop ( red light ) when the A/C is off, the engine spudders, if I pop it in nuetral and rev, it spudders hard, then recovers. My Tac shows it going between ~400 rpm - 600rpm. If i let it sit, and spudder for a few seconds (about 10) it recovers without any issues. I do not know the cause, i have changed fuel companies, this has occured on every different levels in my tank. Spark plugs are not new, but not yet to be replaced, wires are making good contact, etc. Any known issues with this type of thing? Im assuming its fuel management system or the ignition system, as with my past expirence (nissan 240sx) this has been the issue..... however with the nissan.. a coolant tempature sensor nearly drove me nuts, uknown to me when it malfunctioned it shut down the car... completely, at odd times... :angry:

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac

2wd

Automatic

86475 miles.

If you put your foot on the pedal just a TINY little bit does it smooth out?

If so, I would bet it is your IAC. Which is a common issue. There is a project on how to clean it in the project section. Well worth doing.

sounds like the infamous cracked L pipe thing that happened to me. a guy at autozone tried to tell me i needed a new IAC. i took it to my local mechanic and he fixed it for about $20, said it happens to all explorers.

If they are the original plugs, i would lean towards them, I have seen this happen at 60K, changed the plugs and the problem went away..

Todd Z

Latest posts