Royal Purple

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keola P

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to do my first oil change since I've owned my sport trac and I'm planning on using royal purple and a K&N oil filter. Should I just drain the oil, change the filter and add the royal purple, or would anyone suggest I flush the engine out prior to? If so, how would I go about doing that? Any suggestions/input would be greatly appreciated!:rolleyes:

if you going to flush it...

just go to advance, get "motor flush", go home, follow instructions on "motor flush".

check for any leaks and make sure the drain plug is in when u add the oil.... otherwise, you can make a mess... :lol:;)

"motor flush" is the actual name of the product....

its pretty straight forward. have fun :D

Nothing wrong with the K&N. I use them because of the extended time between changes with the Royal Purple. I don't think flushing is going to help. Just give it an extra long drain time.

Ditto what TomT said. And make sure that the truck has been at full operating temperature for at least 15 minutes prior to draining the oil. That way, most of the crap in the engine will still be trapped in the oil, and drain out with it.

Ditto what Tom and TrainTrac said. Give it a nice long drain/drip time and you should be good to go. If you prefer to do the Motorflush fine, but persoanlly I don't think it's neccesary. It's your preference...

I just prefer Motorcraft.. I have a tensioner rattle that seemed to all but disappear after I switched over to synthetic and went back to the motorcraft filter.. It had a fram in it prior.. with an oil filter I feel that your just paying extra for the K&N name when OEM will do the job just the same.. but thats just me

Not really necessary to do a motor flush. I agree with doing the Seafoam treatment, and letting it drain / drip for a while. Royal Purple suggests that you change your oil every 12k with a filter change every 3k and top off. Do not use Fram or any other cheap oil filter. There was a site member a few years back that said he used to work for Fram and that they are the worst filter made. Do a search on Royal Purple and you'll find plenty of into. I am considering using a oil filter magnet that wraps around the oil filter to help trap particles.

I have those for both my ST's on my 03 since the tranny pan is aluminum I have the mag drain plug and internal mag..

I was using RP oil in the motor and just switched to Mobil 1.... I have tests on the RP oil in both trucks, I am going to go the same miles and send out the M1 for testing and see the difference In results.

Todd Z

Shaun, the rectangle in front of the drain plug stuck to the pan..

Todd Z

Latest posts