Royal Purple Oil Change

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do my synthetic changes every 5K..... As for RP recommendations, I don't know..

Todd Z

i've run 15k on my synthetic oil since new 150k ago. If you're going to change your oil at 5k, dino oil would be fine, IMHO... I had an Aerostar, with 250k on it, changed w/ dino oil every 7500 miles.... ran like new when the body rusted off of it...

I do my changes every 7K miles including oil and filter with synthetic. I do a ton of stop and go driving. I guess it would depend on your driving habits.

A boat engine builder told me if you put some oil in the palm of your hand and you can see through it, oil is still good.

RP recommends changing your oil every 12k with a filter change and top off every 3k. When I read the info. on the RP oil filter it said that if you are off warrenty you can change the filter every 12k. I know that goes against all of what we have been taught, but that what it said on the side of the box.

What STanner said. I do changes every 10k, or so, and only use RP. If you're going to do them more often, use dino oil, really not worth the expense otherwise.

Ah, Royal Purple.... Brings back an old memory about my mispent youth. When I was 17 or 18 I convinced my mother to let me drive across state to Spokane WA to visit my brother who was stationed ther in the airforce. I also convinced my girl friend (now wife) to go along. I think her folks thought she was staying over night at a friends. So off we go in mom's only transportation a 56 ford sedan. It was bought used from the telephone company and had a govenor on it. 70 mph top speed. It ate oil, lots of oil, but it was ok if you watched it. Well at one of the gas stops we made I need to add oil. All they had was Royal Purple. My memories unclear but I think I added 2 quarts. Made it to Spokan OK and picked up my brother and his wife and headed bact to Tacoma WA. We made it as far as Moses Lake and the engine blew. The mechanic claimed that it was because of the oil was to good. That it cleaned all the crap out of the motor that was holding the darn thing together. We all took the greyhound back home and left the car for a rebuild. A few weeks later my mother took the bus back to Moses Lake and retrieved her car. I still don't know why she ever forgave me but she did. I think her cost was $800.00 to $1000.00. If my kids pulled something like that on me, they would be living in a rehabilitation center. Thanks mom!:unsure:

Either Royal Purple has been around for a very long time, or you bought a VERY old used car.

Cars from the 50s...did they even get double digit gas mileage? I remember Prison Break (highly reliable source, I know) claiming that the getaway car got 8 mpg.

I'm betting a very long time ago because of the low charge for the rebuild...mr. tire wants almost that much to "flush my steering fluid" and "change my lower ball joints"...yeah right ;)

I'm on my second vehicle with RP, I do a complete change at 20K with a new filter and top off at each 5K in between.

Jim

Wow, I need to change my interval time. I was changing Mobil 1 every 5K. I thought it was a waste when I could still see through it when I drained it.

What about car that sits and isn't driven much? My Mustang has RP in the engine, trans, and rearend. It usually only gets driven around 1k miles per year? I changed it after break-in of new 331 motor, but that was 3 years ago. Oil still looks fairly new.

I use Amsoil. I change my oil once a year. My Trac will now average 7,000 mile a year and the Explorer does about 20,000 a year.

Tom

I guess I wasn't very clear about my last post. Yep, it wasn't the oils fault it was because the car was very used and most of the oil that was used proir to the Royal Purple was the kind you bought in bulk. (the cheapest in the gas station) and yes this was a... l o n g.... time ago. 40 plus years. As far as mileage goes, I think we got around 15 to 20 but that's just a guess. Car was a six. Gas prices were way less than a dollar. 50 to 60 cents I am thinking, but really don't remember. Just another ole guy with CRS.:wacko:

Latest posts